Help: Can't close WD down by normal method, File\Exit ; data screwed

The data which WD is showing is not correct. in the the Max temp was higher than yesterday, but WD says it was the same. Also no wind today according to WD, but it was windy. then no rain, but it has been showery all day!

I have downloaded the latest version to install that, but it makes no difference. Because I can’t close down WD properly, after I have set a new day to get the data from, it doesn’t and just loads the latest data.

Help please, what can I do to get back to how it should be.

I am running windows 10 x64bit with 16GB ram. The version of WD is 10.37 VER301

what weather station type?
any errors in WD under view, program event log?
which version of WD were you using before?

Thanks for getting back to me.

This is the only error in program event log:
Access violation at address 022251EF in module ‘WeatherDisplay.exe’. Read of address 0000040C
I don’t know when that occured.

The version of WD I was using before upgrading was VER 10.37R297, and I am using a Davies Vantage VUE weather station.
The data on the weather station is different from what WD is telling me!

what shows across the top of the WD program?
if you restart WD (kill the process via windows task manager), does that error show up?

Across the top of the program is this:
Weather Display - Ver 10.37R301 - Registered -Davis Vantage Pro SSE,0.0 mph, 11.8C

The same error is there in Program event log as before, after killing the program and restarting as Administrator.

you could try this older debug version
to see if it comes up with an error report
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaydebug.zip

I could upload a more up to date debug version

also though you could see if you have a back up wdisplay.ini settings file, in the databackup folder
and copy that to where WD is installed (exit WD first)

Downloaded the debug version but not installed yet!

I copied a backup of wdisplay.ini to the C:\wdisplay folder, so data was read from the date of the backup ini file I copied over. Today’s data seems to be ok at the moment, in that rainfall is showing for today, as is the windspeed etc.

The previous error message is now not there in the program event log.

I still cannot close WD down by File\Exit, only by task manager.

Due the receiving the same Access violation error a couple of hours later, I ran the weatherdisplay debug version, but strangely it opened up as the same version which is giving the problems.

So I then installed WD onto my laptop, which went ok, but had at to use a usb extension cable to reach as a temporary measure.

Now when I open up WD on my laptop it immediately goes to the taskbar, and won’t open up to the desktop!

I have since removed it from my laptop, uninstalled WD from my desktop, and started again. I still cannot close WD down by the normal method : File\exit

It is right weird as I can’t open it up on my laptop, and can’t close down on my desktop! And because of this I have now lost all the WD records which were created, and can’t get them back now.

I found that I can close down WDL by the top right X, but not WD, only minimise it

After a complete un install of WD, then a restart of my PC, I installed an older version of WD , and this time it did close down by normal means. I then copied a later backup file of WDISPLAY.INI over to the wdisplay folder.

Then I used the datalogger to get data from a past given date, but it didn’t.

Please see my next thread on this problem.

Oh, I spoke too soon, it is happening again. WD will now not shut down by File\Exit, and after I finished entering 3 years of rainfall data by month.

I would dearly like to know why WD has started doing that, as it never used to

I am using Version 290 with windows 10 and 16Gb of memory.

I guess I will just have to start again!

I replied to your other thread about the not showing when opening
re the not closing issue, the next time that happens, .zip and email me the WD settings files

Ok I will do thanks but what WD settings do you want me to send you. Is it the wdisplay.ini file?

there is a FAQ on how to do that

Which FAQ’sn it is in, as I have looked on this one: http://www.weather-display.com/faqs.php, and not found anything. So I then looked on the FAQ page on this site but noting stands out which looks relevant.

If you could point me in the right direction or give me a clue as to where I might find what I am looking for regarding this problem.

Thanks

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/12684 will explain what to send and how to send them.

• Jim

Thanks , I have now just sent them off.

the problem is at some point you have tried to set an exit password
you need to delete the key
Exit
from the wdisplayftp.ini settings in the registry using regedit.exe
or use the latest .zip update of WD

I have sent the files which were required and apparently I had somehow entered or used a password and there was a registry which I edited to sort it out.

So now WD is working ok again!