System speaker beep

I’ve never noticed this before when I had my server in the basement, but now its in my room and WD is running, my server beeps once every 6 hours. It only beeps when WD is running. Right now it beeps at at 0:31, 6:31, 12:31 & 18:31.

Is there a setting somewhere that would cause my server to beep exactly every 6 hours?

do you have an alarm set somewhere?

I didn’t set any alarms. Unless there are alarms set by default. I did check the alerts screen, and i did disable the “shake window” option and a few other things but the server still beeps. I will beep again in another one and quarter hours. (5:18A now, it will beep at 6:31A).

check to see if an error is occuring in WD at those times (under view, program event log)

Been busy the last few days so I haven been able to troubleshoot or poke around…

I just checked the Program Event Log, and its empty.

You can also check Windows Task Scheduler to see if any scheduled task are running. Also, you can check to see if any programs that start at system boot which then run in the background may be causing this, too.

I have a laptop that does exactly the same thing… and it is a total mystery where it is coming from (in the system). And it is not on the machine I am running WD on. It happens at 12:30:59 and 6:30:59 (AM and PM)

To really befuddle the mind, it continues to do it even after upgrading from Win 8.1 to 10.

I tried to chase it down, watching task manager, performance monitor at the time and googling it… and finally threw in the towel.

If you want to get some sleep then I would ID the .wav that’s being played and replace it with a re-named silent.wav (lots on the net or make your own), then use Process Monitor to discover what is triggering it.

I have checked the task scheduler. 4 Tasks, all 4 placed by me (bginfo, stream playlist refresh, UT stats, wxmaps-disabled) and none of them run every 6 hours. The only applications in my boot are required for the weather stuff, and the server processes.

I cant identify the beep .wav, as there is no such file, its the system speaker/buzzer (the one that beeps during boot). There is no audio device on the server. I cant remove the buzzer off the board as I have settings in BIOS to alert me to over temps, or other internal failures. If I cant find it, I may just disable the system ‘beep’ in device manager but I feel that is burying your head in the sand. Something is causing a beep.

Some searches suggest bad/dead CMOS battery, and the one in the server is new. I had a pack of batteries and replaced all of them in all my devices 4 months ago.

Edited:
After post thing message above, I logged into the server and exited Weather Display, NexStorm, and Shoutcast/winamp and did not hear the beep. I then restarted WD. I’ll keep everything off again to verify

Edit #2, Nov 26, 2015
It beeped. It has to be something within WD, whether it be a setting or triggering an error elsewhere. It didn’t beep with anything running, but it has beeped with WD running. Other processes are not running. Event viewer is clear. My last errors/warnings are MariaDB related from 2 weeks ago.

do you happen to have set in WD to set the pc clock every 6 hours?

Yes, I do…

Got “Do daily (6:06)” checked in VP/Vue. in Control Panel → Data Logger…

I have unchecked it…

instead
check the setting under
control panel, units → precision/time/date
and untick if ticked to sync the time very 6 hours

Ok… I restored that previous setting, and Will try the precision/time/date to see what happens…

Well, that seemed to take care of it. No more beeping! YAY!

Thank Brian. :slight_smile: