Losing data erratically

I’m still using v. 10.37R Build 81, Windows 7. For the second time this week I lost several hours of data starting in the middle of the night, although not at the same times. No gaps in the WeatherLink graphs but there are in the Weather Display graphs and log. I tried both recreating and converting but no effect. Both times the PC was off.

What’s happening?

Both times the PC was off.
thats a big clue

do you have WD set to get history data on startup?
(control panel, data logger setup)

Hi, Brian. Yes, I do, at least I assume that’s what the bright-green box with “ON” in it means.

The WD data log shows recording stopped at 4:11 AM MDT Monday morning, and again last night at 2:41 AM. It functioned normally Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, as well as for a long time prior to Monday.

There’s nothing shown in the Events Log.

My startup routine is to open WeatherLink and download the data there, then close WL and open WD. WD functions normally, that is acquires data from the station, from that point, and also reports previous data normally up to the times indicated above – in other words no data is lost except from those times to system startup. If I can remember I’ll leave it on overnight tonight to see what happens.

Bruce

i am confused
did you not say the pc was off during the night?

Yes, I normally turn it off since I was having too many automatic update restarts that messed everything up (not just WD). I did leave it running one night recently but I think it was either last Friday or Saturday, and in any case not twice.

I should mention that this morning I booted the system at about 7 AM but did not start WD, then turned the system back off at about 7:45 and didn’t reboot until 1:00 PM, when I did start WD. While all data during both shutdowns was there in WeatherLink, from 2:41 AM until abt 1:00 PM today nothing was transferred to WD at the 1 PM startup.

If it is just the auto restarts from updates that is the main issue then you can set Win 7 to just notify you to download and install updates, so you can do it manually. Then you could keep PC running 24/7 ?

I have that set – it’s not Windows that’s doing it, it’s something else. I’ve poured through Windows events logs until I’m cross-eyed but haven’t figured out what. Carbonite going on and off, as well as AVAST checking this and that, it’s amazing what actually goes on with an always-on internet connection.

Brian, I left it on overnight; data was recorded normally. HOWEVER, this morning I had a "WD-FTP notification in the Start Menu bar and an Application Error window on-screen as follows:

“Exception EOleSysError in module ftpupd.exe at 0007EB79. Class not registered.”

Other than that everything is still operating normally today.