Interesting article about old tide prediction systems

How analog tide predictors changed human history.

There is a peak of equal magnitude on the opposite side of the globe because inertia counteracts gravity.
is it as simple as that?

It’s on the internet so it must be true :dontknow:

if you google why the double bulge,i.e 2 tides a day even Physics experts have trouble explaining it properly
one theory is that earth itself is blocking the moons gravity (counteracting it)…hence the ocean is not attracted to the planet as much
(so the wording of counteracting is similar)

I’ve spent quite a few years observing tides.

It appears that gravity gives the appearance of tides. The cyclical pulsing of gravity causes the land closest to the water to rise and fall, thus giving the appearance of tides.

I’d applied for a government grant to study this phenomenon some 40 years ago and am still waiting for a check.

actually the earth does bulge upwards under the moon as it spins

The link is to this NOAA page which is the source of that inertia vs gravity wording.

[quote]On the opposite side of the Earth, or the

I’m having a hard time with “the water tries to keep going in a straight line, moving away from the Earth” too :?

yup…that too…

Some interesting links on this guy’s page. He likes Newton’s theory.

yup
told you it was not simple and that there are many theories and even physics people have trouble explaining it :slight_smile:

while the pull is weaker on the side away from the Moon, making the water there lag behind.
which is similar to what I posted above in a way