Windows 10... anyone here install it yet?

Ken
You can change the port apache is using.
here is a link to show how.

Steve

IMO, one shouldn’t have to change Apache’s port to something else. Especially since port 80 is the standard for webservers (apache, IIS, ngix, etc). Is the port changeable for http.sys to listen on?

As stated earlier, I ungraded an 8.1 laptop to 10 and it seems

Just a followup to the ‘can’t use XAMPP Apache on port 80’ issue. I found the problem… It appears that IIS was enabled by default and grabbed the port at boot time. A visit to the Services panel, stopping (and disabling) ‘World Wide Web Publishing Service’ promptly freed up port 80, and my XAMPP Apache was reconfigured to port 80 successfully.

Live and learn, I guess. I’d not had IIS enabled on the Win7-Home system, but it appears to default to ‘On’ with the Win10 upgrade.

I’m keeping my main weather system at Win7-Pro-SP3 for the time being as I work through any issues found with the 4 systems I’ve upgraded.

The Atom D2500 system is where I’ll explore the Win10 vagaries … it’s upgrade went fine (although at 2+hrs due to miniscule processing power).
I’d originally hoped to have it take over for the CoreI5 main system, but it’s horsepower was insufficient for all the weather software I’m running, so it makes a great test bed instead :slight_smile:

I’m hoping that SP3 is a typo 8O

Oops… yes, Win7-SP1 (so long on XP-SP3, I just naturally use SP3 :slight_smile: :oops:

I’m usually pretty slow to update but I’ve never missed two SP’s before :lol:

I have the DVDs now. So I think I’ll wait until winter. When I have a little more time to play with it.

Mark

A lot of tips related to the W10 privacy and wudo settings in this Slate article (if you get an ad the bypass button is at the top right).

First updates arrived last night.
I had set it to notify me so i can shedule the reboot.

It downloaded and installed the updates in background and notified me about to shedule the reboot.
It actually shedule as default a reboot to following night at 03:30 if you not change it before that.

I also leaved open a couple of programs to see if they are there after the reboot (browser + notepad with some unsaved random text). All open programmes was gone after the reboot.

// Henkka

If you set the network connection as “metered” it’s supposed to only download critical updates, can’t do that on the Home version though.

I can (wifi).

Also DiagnosticTrackingService and WindowsUpdate disabled in services now. Lets see if they stay like that or if Redmond picks in and re-enables them :wink:

I now have W10 on my development PC
I like it
its a bit faster
I was using W8.1

The start button is back
and the new start menu is like a windows phone I see

the white bar under the running program in the task bar (i.e sticky start icons)
is much like OSX
as is the new task view

No problems with the upgrade, it only took long to install. (90 minutes on a quadcore 3.00 Ghz)
One annoying thing though and maybe this is a setting I don’t know of yet.
The edgebrowser won’t stay at where I positioned it, the windowsize stays ok. (No full screen)
It sorta centers on the screen and I positioned the browser in the leftuppercorner.

Same trouble here with the browser position. Mine opens on the left, but I prefer it in the upper right corner. Unfortunately it won’t play nice.

I have installed 10 without any problems but can’t seem to resize the WD window so that I can see it all. Has anyone got any ideas how to do this? #-o

This may interest you:

http://www.redmondpie.com/disable-windows-10-data-tracking-features-from-one-place-with-this-free-app/

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-enable-godmode-in-windows-10/

Installed Win10 this afternoon with no problems, software wise anyway. I like so far.

I do have one issue though. I recently set added a 2nd monitor, very old job that was retreived from a PC that I ‘de-commissioned’.

Was ok on Win7, and initially with the Win10 install, ie when all was upgraded. However, after my first reboot, although it is active during the system boot up, as soon as I get to the Win10 login, the monitor is no longer recognised and attempting to detect it proves fruitless. Unplugging and replugging in the cable from either graphics card or the monitor and is still not responsive. If I then do another reboot, again, the 2nd monitor is detected initially, but as soon as i hit the login screen, the 2nd monitor is no longer recognised.

WD running fine and dandy.

TrevP

I assume you have one video card, does its driver support win 10? What type is the card, and how are the monitors interfaced e.g. DVI, HDMI etc.?