CPU spike (60%) and unresponsive windows

Running Ver 281 on a W7 machine with the following specs:

32bit OS
Pentium D CPU 2.8GHZ
2GB ram

The Windows Tasks Manager shows 800-900 MB of ram being used

I noticed that about every minute the weatherdisplay.exe CPU utilization spikes to about 60-65% for about 20 secs or so. Additionally, if I open the Control Panel or View window, they are quite slow in responding (perhaps that overlaps with the CPU spike). Most of the times, if I click on the Ok button or Red X to close the window, the window’s title changes for a few secs to (Not Responding). It ultimately closes!

Running the following
Metar download (one location)
FTP to remote location
CWOP every 5 mins
PWSWeather every 5 mins
Weather Underground Rapid Fire every 3 secs.

Is my computer really underpowered of is there a problem with my current configuration?

Thanks
Renato

In my opinion it is underpowered, and 2 GB memory is on the low side for W7. But it is working so unless you want to run something else on there it should be OK. Passmark has a list of CPU benchmarks here where you can compare your 2.8 Pentium D, score 594, to more recent CPU’s.

I do see that you have set things to be created every minute…hence the cpu spike when those are updated

Does rapidfire use a lot of resource?

that is updating every few seconds
its the updates on the minute that are set to occur that are one of the problems

Good point :slight_smile:

Brian/Niko

I know this depends on the “user’s preferences” but which file would you suggest relaxing the creation interval? Another way of saying it, which one of those 1-min files are the most resource intensive? Perhaps I could change the interval to 5-10 mins and stagger the execution.

Also, consider that my only way of serving the information is by using the Saratoga template with the BurnsvilleWeatherLIVE.com template version 6.7. Perhaps I am generating files that I am never using…

Renato

the special file conversion , file #22
does not need to be updated every minute
change that to every 10 minutes (and untick to use the 1 minute setting for that)
that does use alot of CPU
those templates get the real time data from the clientraw.txt file

Brian

I assume you meant File #29 and not #22, correct?

Renato

yes #-o