What's to become of WDL

Unfortunately the potential crowd for this app is pretty small :frowning:

Well I guess it wont be that bad. I already have the possibility to choose units, I will add language and then I can also make it possible for the user to customize colors, size etc.

If you have any suggestions let me know, I will post here a link to an “alpha version”, I know there is still a lot of work ahead, but take it as a starting point.

Note:
Since I use meteobridge and do not have my station running WD and clientraws generated, the below link uses clientraws of one of the users here on the forum who was that kind to provide me with a link. But because of that I set the update interval to relatively large value so that I dont load his server too much. THe interval however can be set to anything, even 1s for example.

http://www.meteotemplate.com/templateTest/testing/index.php

I must say that’s really attractive. It would be welcome on my website!

Well I mentioned this in another thread as well, but I will also make several designs so that you can choose and of course you can set units, language, colors, size, solar gauge is optional, you can set up update intervals.

Right now I just want to make sure the data is correct and it uses the correct clientraw fields and that the script itself works. But hopefully it should not take too long.

Important thing is that it uses ONLY clientraws, no database, so basically all you have to do is upload to server, specify path to clientraw, set update interval and you are done.

I have it working here:
http://www.weather-display.com/windy/newwdl/

some minor issues only :wink:
:slight_smile:

nice :slight_smile: Was the cloudbase.png not included in the zip?

No.

OK, that is really weird though, because it is in the folder which I zipped :smiley:

Anyway I attach it.

That’s a big cloud 8O

Yes :smiley: But it will resize in the file and I have most of my icons in higher resolution so that I can use them bigger if necessary, it is still just about 50 kb anyway :smiley:

I’ve just tried one of the samples on my mobile phone and I am not sure it works well on that size screen, it does not yet compare well with the formatting of the Steel Gauges, yes I realise this is work in progress and I hope it will continue and improve. My main reason some time ago to get Steel Gauges working was for mobile devices with no flash, so I hope this becomes as good on those devices.

Stuart

But Julian must presumably have previously struck a deal with InfoSoft to use the FC, widgets etc suite in the first place. (Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but my ageing recollection is that WDL uses the FC suite as its main presentation engine.) So the question really boils down to why this deal cannot be continued on presumably similar terms, but obviously now for the JS-based version of the suite.

Here I have no problem to see WDL with my iPhone 6.

WDL main.PNG

I think the issue here is that we want anyone to be able to view our web pages without having to do anything with their devices, its OK for those with the skills but the vast majority dont have them. If you have the skill and it works then fine. However we need to be able to migrate to things which work on ALL platforms without user intervention on their devices since Flash will at some time in the future die completely, many people on desktops have it turned off these days because it is not very secure.

Stuart

Here I have no problem to see WDL with my iPhone 6.

WDL zoom.PNG

I can only test android, with Android I see my gauges but nothing for wdl, no flash support

One note, it loads 1.5 MB of files 8O Thats waaay too much, ie. icons whats 100 KB in size each are just too much expecially for mobile devices with limited bandwidth. Its nicely responsive tought but a few gauges are too wide for 320 px width what many smarthphones have… Btw. why do you not use css-sprites (combine all icons to one image) to get down the http-requests?

The icons will of course be smaller in the final version I didn’t bother with that at this stage, I wanted to make sure it works in the first place and also the size is something I will address later - as I said in my first post

Okay :slight_smile:

Re. the “modulariness” like WDL. There are some javascript-plugins (i don’t remember if it is jQuery or Bootstrap-specific or what) where one as visitor can move around and even hide/add elements on the page. Add to that ability so save the configuration for next visit. Something like that could be one idea.
Like: website-owner just enables wanted values => a default layout shows on the page with all enabled => visitor can config it how he/she wants. The key here is that the page remembers the visitors settings/layout including units etc.

I will look into that, it would definitely require cookies.