Switching weather stations

I’m thinking of moving to a Davis Vantage Pro 2. What will I need to get it to hook up to my weather computer? And what do you guys think about it?

Thanks,

Ed

I do not see it as a problem.

You would need to need the Davis data logger. It comes with weatherlink-needed for setup.

to use Weatherlink and Weather Display at the same time- you need Virtual VP (now free)

and patience to make sure it all works.

Even with the over-inflated price of Davis products here, I have been more than happy with my VP2.
A couple of sensors have been replaced, but my VP2 is 8 years old next week and still going strong.

i used to own the davis vp2, but the windspeed bearing was soon worn…it wouldnt turn with light winds.
owned it for about 2 years, apart from that its a great weatherstation.

I know better to say this, as it will probably jinx my system, but I have had one of my wind units going since I bought it with the VP1 in 1993. It is up on the mast and still works after all these years. Probably when it goes, I will use the lower one full time. I was quite able to bring the mast off the tripod back then, but now I just don’t have the strength. The lower one came with my VP2 unit. i have a wireless kit so I can switch my console and Envoys between the two from in the house.

I’ve had my VP2 wireless for almost 10 years now and other than a problem with the anemometer, it has been essentially problem-free. Davis has introduced a new anemometer design that does not use the mechanical magnetic reed switch for wind speed. The reed switch was the weak link but the new solid state design has eliminated that issue. They did have some issues with the super-cap in the ISS unit but that seems to have also been fixed as I don’t hear much about it any longer. I live in northern Nevada where the wind blows almost constantly and I’ve had no problems with the anemometer since replacing it with the new style.

Chief-David has pretty much covered what you need to make it operational (including the patience… :smiley: ).

The nicest thing about the VP2 is that you can separate the Anemometer assembly from the ISS/Rain Gauge and place it at a more optimum height for greater wind measurement accuracy. Davis even includes 40-feet of wire so you can do that. Also, when considering the VP2, seriously think about getting the VP2 Plus with FARS (Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield) which includes the Solar and UV sensors in the package. Adding these at a later time is very costly. I wish I had done it back in 2005 when I bought mine…

And lastly, if you haven’t visited the WXFORUM, I suggest you do so. There is a wealth of information on all kinds of weather stations and other weather-related topics on that forum.

Good luck!

Thanks,

Good information from all. I appreciate it.

I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Ed