What's to become of WDL

More and more we are heading to the death of Flash and the replacement in HTML5. I am hoping that WDL could be replicated in HTML5 or redesigned as an HTML5 application. One person told me that I should give it up and use the Steel Series gauges…but I looked at the implementation to do it and I didn’t care for it. I like the WDL local app that allows me to make changes to my WDL page on the fly…no coding required. Also it provides alot of easy to configure gauges, graphs and displays. I am hoping that an HTML5 equivalent is in the works or will be soon.

Definitely the nth post on this subject, it’s starting to remind me of the story about Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody :lol:

Jachym is taking a shot at a live updating graphical dashboard, so that’s a possible solution. I understand the desire for a wysiwyg layout tool like the wdl configurator but that’s a big programming undertaking with little return. I would guess most wdl users barely used it once the entire time they ran wdl.

I have my WDL page live swapping between WDL and the Steel Gauges depending on whether or not the user has Flash capability.

Stuart

I will see what I can do, I tried to make it as much as WDL as possible in terms of features etc. Some people are already testing it, it only uses the clientraws, so just like WDL, no need for any database etc. It shows gauges and using dialog windows also graphs, records etc. And in user can select units etc.

I am tester
its working
easy to set up (easier than the steel gauges)
great work Jachym

I use it on some of my pages. With the strong suggestion by the major internet folks, that everything has to be compatible with the smartphones and tablets, it needs to be something that these can handle.

I still am churning out webpages using FrontPage 2003 , and having the various items from WeatherDisplay to update to those. That took me a lot of work and planning. However, not everyone can see the Live pages and that is quite sad.

I am not a programmer, I did use it and was happy and thrilled to be able to provide those items to those who came to my site. Along with that , the mml option as well.

I guess the reason I didn’t upgrade to those eye catching sites, is that I can’t seem to get my head around how to do it.

I would like to see WDL continue as long as it can.

Was there ever an answer to the question of whether the current (JS-based rather than Flash) version of the FusionCharts suite isn’t close to being a drop-in replacement for the old Flash version? Sorry, I may have missed it. Or is it a licence/cost issue?

IIRC there was an answer but I guess it got lost in the server disaster. My thought would be that the license cost would be a show stopper.

Maybe a crowdsource/challenge of programmers to take WDL and build either an HTML5 or Java replacement that has a local configurator program like WDL has now. Make it easy for anyone to set up a live page and at a reasonable cost.

Unfortunately the potential crowd for this app is pretty small :frowning:

Well I guess it wont be that bad. I already have the possibility to choose units, I will add language and then I can also make it possible for the user to customize colors, size etc.

If you have any suggestions let me know, I will post here a link to an “alpha version”, I know there is still a lot of work ahead, but take it as a starting point.

Note:
Since I use meteobridge and do not have my station running WD and clientraws generated, the below link uses clientraws of one of the users here on the forum who was that kind to provide me with a link. But because of that I set the update interval to relatively large value so that I dont load his server too much. THe interval however can be set to anything, even 1s for example.

http://www.meteotemplate.com/templateTest/testing/index.php

I must say that’s really attractive. It would be welcome on my website!

Well I mentioned this in another thread as well, but I will also make several designs so that you can choose and of course you can set units, language, colors, size, solar gauge is optional, you can set up update intervals.

Right now I just want to make sure the data is correct and it uses the correct clientraw fields and that the script itself works. But hopefully it should not take too long.

Important thing is that it uses ONLY clientraws, no database, so basically all you have to do is upload to server, specify path to clientraw, set update interval and you are done.

I have it working here:
http://www.weather-display.com/windy/newwdl/

some minor issues only :wink:
:slight_smile:

nice :slight_smile: Was the cloudbase.png not included in the zip?

No.

OK, that is really weird though, because it is in the folder which I zipped :smiley:

Anyway I attach it.

That’s a big cloud 8O

Yes :smiley: But it will resize in the file and I have most of my icons in higher resolution so that I can use them bigger if necessary, it is still just about 50 kb anyway :smiley:

I’ve just tried one of the samples on my mobile phone and I am not sure it works well on that size screen, it does not yet compare well with the formatting of the Steel Gauges, yes I realise this is work in progress and I hope it will continue and improve. My main reason some time ago to get Steel Gauges working was for mobile devices with no flash, so I hope this becomes as good on those devices.

Stuart