Any pond, water feature experts out there?

Got a bit of an odd story here… Without going into a lot of detail unless asked for.

We are going to be moving soon (lease signing next week) and while looking at the house, we seen and were told the last long-time tenants installed a water feature in the backyard. Unfortunately after living in the house for 20 years the tenant had passed away and her live in boyfriend instead of removing the liner stabbed some holes in it to drain it instead of removing it. She also had some koi in there too.

The landlord would have preferred it to be removed at the time HOWEVER, he liked the idea of me ‘restoring’ it and getting it working again. While we are purely renting, he is ok with several of our plans and ideas (even installing my tower the whole 48’ if I want to do it) and has offered some help.

Now I’m asking here. I have fixed some small tiny ponds over the years as an electrician by replacing pumps & filters, but I am not an expert. This water feature is significantly bigger than anything I have ever worked with in the past. We don’t plan on adding any koi. I have looked on google but havent seen much relevant information outside of fixing precast stuff. Does anyone have any tips on restoring water features or sites where to get information?

I would think the easiest way to fix things is to replace the liner, putting it on top of the old one. AS it is pre cast, please make sure there is a good layer of sand between the lliner and the original surafece.I have done this on a number of occasions myself. Dont be tempted to sue plastic sheeting, a proper liner is going to give the lifetime needed.
Restocking is more of a problem as it depends on what you are looking for. You could create a wildlife pond and just put in water and bog plants, and let frogs and things populate it. You could put in goldfish. Now is a good time of year as many folk with large goldfish in inside tanks may want to get rid of them. Putting them in to your pond would be a cheap way of restocking. Try an advert on one of the free recycling sites or Craigs List perhaps. Only do it once the water has lain in the pond for around three weeks to let it settle. Try and put plants in before the fish.
Lots of exciting things to do in a pond though. Adds a whole new dimension to the garden, and if it replaces a lawn, saves time mowing it.

Mike

Sounds like it may have a rubber sheet material lining if it could be stabbed, in which case you could probably just lay another liner in there if it’s not too badly torn up. I doubt that trying to repair it would be successful but there maybe a process to do that. My suggestion would be to clean it out completely and post pictures and dimensions to a pond forum and ask the same question. There are a lot of factors to making a self sustaining pond. If it’s not a good shape with different areas of appropriate depth then best to know up front rather than waste your time on it.

Where not to ask about about water features…California
Where to find people that know about water features…lots of water features…Midwest and East Coast.

:lol: Happy Funny Friday…

If it is EPDM type rubber liner you can buy repair tape and primer. It is like putting a patch on and inter tube, just clean around the hole and patch. Or you can buy a new liner. Check out pond stores like Pondusa.

HomeDepot sells bulk pond liner if replacement is needed.

-Bob

Been busy. Signed the lease a couple days ago and will be moving there soon.

This is primarily a stream type system shaped like a Y, but there is a small settling pond (not very deep) on one end. I haven’t been able to measure or check any elevations or anything with it. I don’t plan on putting in any fish, but I have thought about some plants to help try to keep it “clean”. I didn’t see any precast materials unless they are hidden under the loose rocks. I’ll know more in several weeks and will be able to provide more information and pictures.

Thanks for the link to Pondusa. They will probably come in handy once I know more about the system in place.

I will have to get a new pump, and troubleshoot the electrical going to the shed that’s near the feature. The landlord is ok with me doing the troubleshooting and running a new line if needed.