Bug and can't use bug tracker

Now I have updated everything to the latest version and still no joy on the server. The older XP machine is running the latest version like a champ right along with the newer laptop with an I7 processor.

Same issue with the server. Acts like it’s going to fire up but never does. Maybe it’s time for me to reformat and start over with this computer. Either that or switch everything over to a raspberry pi and solve all the windows issues. :slight_smile:

when you say fire up but does not
.do you mean windows or WD?

WD. Icon shows up in the task bar just like before. As soon as the mouse rolls over it it will disappear.

That means it was not running in the first place…i.e an orphaned icon…its not that it closes when you mouse over
have you tried starting with no settings files?

Splash screen with progress bar. Same as before. Loading rain new rain chart. That screen disappears then the icon in the sys tray shows up. That is it. Happens each and every time like this.

Hi
if you started with new settings it should ask what language to use
are you sure you deleted the settings files?
also try again the full install in case some dll file not registered
also you could try deleting the datafiles and log files folders
as a test

We’ve already tried all of that. To include installing in a new folder which just gives me a dll error (registration I believe it was). Renamed folders and did stuff with the data files also I believe also.

I do not want to lose all of my data that is for sure. And it took me weeks to get the setup done too so I do not want to lose that either. But if that’s what it’s going to take then I guess I have no choice.

Removed the wdisplay.ini file. Hung on Loading new rain chart for a little then splash screen disappeared. Same thing still. Icon in sys tray. Mouse near it, disappears. No new wdisplay.ini file yet created.

Tried uninstalling and re-installing. Found an issue. Multiple issues I think. Looks like I am having issues with the mscvrt.dll file which is from the Visual C++ distribution. Looks Like I might have an old on on this server. Tried updating but it looks like I have broken the entire server now. So i’ll just resort to the old version of WD until I come up with something else. :slight_smile:

so you are able to use build 81 OK do you say?
when using new version , are you updating via just the .zip update?

That is correct. v81 is fine.

I have updated via both the .zip and .exe files. I’ve also done some debug version you sent me too.

what is your windows version?

Windows Server 2003

I tried to update to your latest version hoping that maybe this all would be fixed. Well. It’s not. Same thing. Aside from re-installing the OS which I’m trying to avoid I don’t know what else to do. Running a Spring of 2014 version is working but I’d like the updates too. So if you can’t get this figured out I’ll have to risk a complete system format and re-install.

the problem is, I am using now the latest compiler
which targets Windows 7 and higher (XP only if the the most up to date patches and updates were installed)
but you are using a windows version that is now 12 years old

I am using a Windows version (XP) that is even older and works fine. So how does an OS created after XP not work? This blows my mind.

and works fine
what works fine exactly?

Everything. On my server it won’t even start up. On my xp system it starts and run and connects to my server and updates data from the server.

I think you will find that windows server 2003 was based on windows NT
and so you reasoning that its a later OS than XP is not really valid

if you update your OS to windows server 2008 or later it will work

Actually XP is an NT OS, as is 2003, but Server OS’s are “different”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2003

in any case, updating to server 2008 should allow WD to run OK , from what I have gathered