Linear (thermometer) style gauges?

Thanks. Yes I see it, I dont actually need a copy of WDL, I can see the live demo. The only problem is that the graphs will obviously be quite limited given the number of datapoints available.

The number of parameters included in the file is huge so we will have to filter out the important ones to make it detailed on one hand, but not confusing on the other.

Maybe this can be of some help when studying clientraw files:

XREF (coss reference) of all fields in the 4 clientraw***.txt files:
http://www.weerstation-leuven.be/weather2/index.php?p=93-5&lang=en#

Field by field display of the 4 clientraw files:
http://www.weerstation-leuven.be/weather2/index.php?p=93-6&lang=en

Wim

Thanks Wim,

the WD parser is exhaustive and gives all the information, so now it is more about what we want to include.

So basically I will try to finish the basic version today, this will only have the gauges for humidity, pressure, solar, wind bearing, speed, gust, 2 thermometers and rain and rainrate. I will also make the important javascript and php for the updates.

Then next step will be adding the additional stuff such as daily hi/lo etc. As I said, I want these to be interactive, in other words, user “clicks something” and it shows, we obviously dont want a page where you just see thousands of numbers and dont even know what they mean.

I will try to post some first working demo tonight, where ideally will be the above mentioned gauges and I will try to make the updates working through AJAX and for now just have the php generating the values randomly to check the update works. Getting the data from text file into the PHP is trivial, so this can then be easily changed.

It may be worth to note that many fields unrelated to WDL have been added to the clientraw*.txt files over the years.

IMHO it would be useful to have the daily highs and lows marked gauges.

I think the best would be to take it step by step.

So first step will be just the basic gauges with regular updates and values displayed - I just finished that. I also made it so that the actual gauge can look depending on what the value is. This can be quite useful. For example I already implemented this into one thing, which is that the thermometer is colored red above 5

So, another update:

Today I added the following stuff:

• fields for actual values
  • gauges show units
  • “records” button - i tried to make this similar to the WDL, so it opens a dialog window with records (again of course, all the numbers are just dummy values, which will be replaced by the fields from clientraw)
  • each gauge can now be clicked and this shows further information about that particular parameter
  • theremometer can be switched between temperature/apparent temperature/dewpoint
  • pressure gauge now also shows trend

Again, this is still just a test and work in progress, I appreciate any suggestions and comments. I havent started working on the graphs yet, that is the next major thing to do.

http://www.meteotemplate.com/templateTest/testing/index2.html

Hi, looks good so far :slight_smile:

When you click an object, i see it opens stats for it at the top, would this be better in a tooltip or popup of some sort?
When you do click another object it does not close the previous stats but adds to them thus moving the gauges down the page

Just thinking out aloud :slight_smile:

Hi,

yes, I was deciding if I will enable opening more stats at once and I decided that it will be better, for example someone might want to view more things at the same time. I could easily set it up so that whenever you click something, it hides all the other stats, but I find this better.

Originally I planned to display the stats on mouse over in a tooltip, but I then chose this option for two reasons:

1. tooltip is not so good if for example someone wanted to copy the data etc. If it was in a tooltip you would have to have your cursor over it for it to show
  2. most importantly, when using mouseover these days, one must be extremely cautious for a very simple reason - touchscreen devices… the problem is that a touchscreen device can not differentiate between mouseover and click and this sometimes causes problems so I prefer to avoid this

Just wondering, can the wind speed/gust be combined on a single gauge? You could then put the wind rose on the same line.

Hi, unfortunately as far as I know that is not possible using this particular script. I will try to look but I doubt it.

I will have a look if it is possible to make changes directly in the core files of the graphing library.

OK another update,

I am slowly making some progress.
Over the past few days I slightly changed the layout for better display in different browsers and resolutions and most importantly I have added a whole new section “Graphs”, which shows graphs for I think most of what WD provides in clientraw files and what is available in WDL.

Feel free to test it and let me know about any bugs you find. There is still stuff I want to add, but I think it is at least going forward, in the meantime I also work on some new plugins for meteotemplate, which is why I wasnt working on it so much last week.

Here is the new link:
http://www.meteotemplate.com/templateTest/testing/index.php
(currently uses random dummy data)

This is to be used with clientraw files, but if I make a version for my template as well there would be more graphs etc. because the database can provide much more info. This however, can completely be used with just the info from clientraw files.

I added couple more things:

• cloudbase height
  • fire danger index
  • rain gauge can now be switched between daily/monthly/annual

http://www.meteotemplate.com/templateTest/testing/index.php

I think I basically covered all the features that are in WDL.

Let me know if you think there is something else I should add.

If not, I will start rewriting the code in PHP so that it fetches data from clientraw instead of using random values that are just for illustration purposes right now.

I will then also make another version, which will (as I mentioned before) use my more preffered design, which uses less of 3D effects, colors and shadows, but because I know everyone has a different taste, I first created this. Changing icons is trivial, the most important part - ie. the technical part of it and content, will stay the same.

Nice one Jachym. Can it be scaled smaller?

The thing is, unfortunately this cannot be done purely in CSS and uses canvas, which uses fixed dimensions. I tested several resolutions and it should work for most of the ones people currently use. 1280x800 is OK. Lower res. then still works but results in the gauges being shifted downwards.

What I thought however was that there could be some setting in the PHP, where the user could select size, something like “small”, “medium”, “large”, and based on that, php will use some multiplier, which it will use to adjust all the values, which would still be fixed in terms of HTML but it would show smaller.

Do you think the gauges are too big?

Understood.

For me, yes. At that size it would not be a substitute for my WDL

Can you explain this a bit more? I just looked at your WDL and it loads fullscreen, what exactly did you mean it wouldnt fit, do you have some link where I could see how much space you have?

On 1366 x 768

Oh… you mean vertically? I always tend to think about horizontal fit as that is usually a bigger issue. Scrolling down is not such a problem, but people dont like scrolling left-right.

Anyway, this however is similar to what I mentioned above - this is a matter of design, just like Im gonna make a different looking design, I can make one that shows the exact same thing, just smaller.

What I was more interested in was suggestions what to add or whether this is what it should look like. I will then start working on php actually getting real data and pluging it in so that it can be used with the clientraw. In other words I want to sort out content first, then get the technical side of it done and working and then the last thing is playing around with the design, which is relatively easy.

UV is the only other parameter that I can think of.