Comm port problem question.

The UPS for my weather computer decided to die this morning. I found weather computer off and lights blinking on the UPS.
Removed UPS and fired the weather computer back up, but now I can’t communicate with the weather station.
Windows (XP) device manager says the comm port (1) is working properly.
But my question is can XP declare it ok, but the comm port still have an issue?

I no longer have anything else that use’s a com port other then the weather station to test it with.

Station is a Texas Weather Instruments, it has a communications chip in it that I had to replace once before after a close lightning strike.

Do you have a spare 9 pin serial connector? If so you could make a loopback connector and test the port.

try a different comm port

Only one com port on machine.

Ok, I tied pins 2&3 together and used Hyperterm. Letters appeared, so I assume this means it’s all ok? Or do I need to do the complete multiple pin thingy?

Oddly, after I connect with Hyperterm, close Hyperterm, then start WD. It works, WD obtains data. But, it takes much longer then normal for the data to start flowing. Normally is almost instantly, but now about a minute or a tad more before it begins. ??

Also, I have a program that comes with the station TWICal. It will connect to the station as it should Only if I connect immediately after shutting down Hyper.

If I close either TWIcal or WD after successfully connecting, and try to connect with either again, it fails. But if I connect with Hyper, then close hyper, I can again connect with WD.

Hope that makes sense. If I connect with WD, close WD, then try TWIcal, it fails. And visa versa.

How can I correct todays rainfall total without causing the maximum hrly rainrate to skyrocket?

If the 2&3 loop works I think it’s unlikely that the port is bad. Have you tried getting data from it with hyperterm?

maybe a baud rate issue