Meteotemplate - new free website template

Hi, I was in fact looking at the webcam section in WD today.
It looked pretty dramatic. (difficult). :slight_smile:

Had I been a programmer, I would make a script to place in my host server that renamed each of the thousand images tat my webcam uploads,
so that the Meteotemplate webcam plugin, could use them. :roll:

I will look at the WD option. :slight_smile:

there is a web cam ftp upload setup in control panel,ftp/internet setup, web cam upload
(select the file, add it to list, set the times to upload, and turn the switch on)

Thanks. I

[color=red][b]Plugin Update

Hi guys,

so far, the recently released plugin

Block Update - Astro Events 3.0

Hi guys,
I added possibility to add block heading.

Enjoy

Hi guys,

thanks to all of you who have suggested links and sources for other countries for the pollen calendar. I will try to add them, but it might take some time as it takes relatively long because each data source comes in a different format and has to be coded differently.

For Northern hemisphere pollen will soon be an issue so I will concentrate on this now.

Meanwhile I continue working on v14, which is still far away, but Im gradually adding new features and improvements, also based on your tips from the January questionnaire.

I have two things I would like to do, both pertaining to the database.

Firstly, I would like to change the records for monthly and yearly rain. In Weather Display this is simple. As Meteotemplate does not collect monthly and yearly rain from the clientraw.txt file and does not show the figures in the data editing facility I’m stuck. I could go directly to the database itself and edit it there, but I assume I’d have to stop gathering data during that process (which is fine) but will Meteotemplate then use the amended figure?

Secondly, I have 28-years of rain records. Only the last three or so years are in my database as I only started it at that time. The data is in both written and spreadsheet form. I’ve attached a sample of the layout of the latter as an image by way of explanation. I have no idea as to how I can get this information into the data base.

If anyone has suggestions on one or other - or both - of my quandaries I will be most appreciative.

John

Hi John,
unfortunately Im afraid this wont work. Meteotemplate handles rain differently. You are right, there are no “monthly” or “annual” rain values - simply because Meteotemplate always uses only the 5min data to calculate everything. When showing the monthly values for example, it simply sums the daily values, which are cumulative, so it takes the latest value from each day and sums those.

And this also explains why your Excel will not work. First, you would need the other parameters too, not just rain, but most importantly, the database must be using the same interval. The default and recommended one is 5min, you could theoretically use even 1min, or 10min, but 5min I found is the ideal compromise beteween data accuracy and completeness and page speed.

And as soon as you start introducing different intervals, your stats will all be biased. I will use a simple example. Imagine you one day you record data twice a day and then next day just once, look:

Day 1:

• temperature 10 deg
  • temperature 20 deg
    Day 2:
  • temperature 30 deg

Statistically, the correct average temperature would be ((10+20)/2 + 30)/2 = 22.5 deg
However, the template would show: (10+20+30)/3 = 30 deg

You would need weighted averages for all this and that would be an issue.

So even if you had the other parameters as well, it would still show incorrect statistics. Because with 5 min interval, every day you are logging 288 sets of data. So having only one value per day would mean that 288 of such days would have the same effect on the averages etc. as just one day with 5min.

[color=red][b]Block Update

[color=red][b]Plugin Update

Hi guys,

several of you asked me about this and i think this might be useful for anyone creating a webpage.

I just wanted to summarize some important things to keep in mind when optimizing your web page and testing it using some online speed testing tools such as the Google PageSpeed

http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=2270

Block Update - NWS Forecast - Custom 3.0

Hi guys,

• added last update time and valid for time to forecasts
  • added a little message at the top informing the user they can drag the marker to whatever location they want - will automatically disappear when the user does so

DEMO: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/indexBlockDemoWide.php?block=nwsForecastCustom

Enjoy

nice :wink:
I did post once, on the 1st april,
“this is Brian wife
i found him slumped over the keyboard, frothing at the mouth”

but people thought it was real 8O

Hehe…

[quote author=Jachym link=topic=60996.msg521240#msg521240 date=1491051029]

Hi.
Quick question:
In what file can I edit so that Google finds my weatherpage (Meteotemplate).
I want to put in some Meta words somewhere …

[url=http://fj

Hi,
you dont need to put anything. Search engines dont work like this anymore. This is how they worked many years ago. Today, these search bots index your page automatically, they also ignore all keywords in meta tags etc. They are now much more sophisticated and analyze the actual content. Keywords were used in the past because it was the only way to tell the bot what your page is about but obviously it was quite misused and so as soon as these bots got smart enough to be able to analyze the content themselves, the meta tags became ignored. The keyword metatag for example is now ignored by all Google, Bing, Yahoo, MSN and other bots.

Prime example - I never did any sophisticated SEO for meteotemplate.com (other than what you all have in your templates), no ads, no keyword meta tags - and if you search for free weather templates and similar phrases it comes as number one on page 1… Google has very sophisticated algorithm with over 700 criteria, which no-one knows (obviously… otherwise it would be heavily misused). I even read they make on average 3 changes to this algorithm every day…

So you dont have to worry about this, Google will index it automatically and if your site has good quality content and avoids certain technologies and uses the desired ones (which I try to do), it should do fine.

I read a guide about this, about 70 pages, and made sure what is possible is implemented in MT. And as I said based on the fact it is doing better and better, with no ads, no meta tags, paid ads etc. I think it is ok. Also you always have to make sure you read very new stuff, these bots work totally differently than they worked just a few years ago.

Just an example, imagine you have a website with lots of ads. This means, the more people visit your site, the more money you make. Now, lets say word “X” is a popular word which people search for often. So you put word X into the keywords and title, even though your page is not about this. This would fool the search engine and it would offer your page when people search for X. This used to be a major problem. Today search engines are much more sophisticated and use artificial intelligence and highly sophisticated algorithms to analyze your site and they ignore meta tags like keywords etc. And if they find your page is pretending to be something else, they will even heavily penalize you in search results.