Meteotemplate - new free website template

:multi:

Meteotemplate - Translations

Hi guys,

in the Blog I just posted some important information about translations in general. If you are intersted you can read it to better understand how this works and why things are the way there are :slight_smile:

Interesting, it sure can be a challenge…

Over the past almost 2 years, you sort of discover things that did not occur to you and only became obvious once you get dozens of same suggestions or problems. The template constantly develops, also in the backend, if I was to start over today, I would do many things differently.

Great example is the config.php. I would design it much differently today and this is the core file with all the settings, which is like this since v1. Would it be easy to redo? Actually yes it would. Can I do it? Well here we go… if I changed it the way I would do it today, each user would have to go through all the settings again. So can I do it? Yes and no… And I basically have to do compromises all the time.

Someone asks for more possible customizations - you add them - other people tell you they would rather easier setup, with less options, but less time to get it up and running.

updates… minor more frequently? Major less frequently? I made a poll, results? 12:14

etc etc…

In summary… I learn all the time. I cannot emphasize more that I am NOT a programmer or have any formal IT education, never attended any course, bootcamp or class. I learn by trial and error method and so I would say that everything goes through these stages:

1. I learn something and think it might be useful (or more often, I think of something and go find how it could be done and learn how to do it)
  2. I implement it
  3. after some time, while looking at something else I discover even the previously made thing could be done better - I am now in a situation where I know how to do it better, but I don

Yep, there’s always something new…

So I thought I would try google translate :roll: I opened the demo and google wanted to translate it from Afrikaans to English :? Once I told it to do English to German and compared it to the German demo it appeared to do quite a good job.

I know this will never be perfect, Czech is a great example… it is actually very difficult language.

Another example… imagine the phrase X years

Simplest would be inserting the dynamic number and followed by the translation of “year”

More sophisticated solution would be checking the number and if it is just 1, then use singular, in other cases plural. This is more code, but should work. Well… not really… check this out:

In Czech:
1 rok
2 roky
5 roků or 5 let

and we have a problem… If you say “5 roky”, everyone will of course know what you mean, but it would probably sound to us something like “1 years”

ISYM Google translates “years” as "l

Block Update - Summary 5.4

Hi guys,

problem with the fact someone thought it would be funny to have months and days in the week in English capitalized is solved :smiley:

Enjoy :wink:

[quote author=niko link=topic=60996.msg520962#msg520962 date=1490477192]
ISYM Google translates “years” as "l

I’ll have to forgo that opportunity, my brain cells are pretty much worn out at this point :lol:

[color=red][b]New Plugin

[color=red][b]Block Update

I updated to 12 and now to 13 Lemon, I followed the instructions in the wiki re putting the google maps api code in the text document, but maps are not working, do I need a NEW key for google maps as the one I had before the updates doesn’t seem to work.
Phil

P.S. website seems to be workng ok again now :slight_smile:

Phil double check the text file with the code, your API key loaded from that file is currently XXXXX

Phil double check the text file with the code, your API key loaded from that file is currently XXXXX

Just checked and the googleMapsKey.txt file has the api key and its also showing on the settings page. Should it show the actual key on the settings page or should be a long row of xxxxxxxxxxxxxx because its showing the actual key letters and numbers?
Phil

In Javascript, unlike PHP, all code can be viewed by anyone so api keys must be handled differently. They are tied to your domain, that is what you set in your referrer when creating the key. So this key will only work on your domain. Anyone can see it, but if I used it on my site, it wont work, this is how you “protect” Javascript api keys.

Hi.
Regarding Meteotemplate and the plugin “webcam”:
In Weather Display, “Web Files/Web Page Setup”, what will I write after the URL?
I use the API feature in the template.

Anyone? :roll:

The webcam plugin doesn

http-get.jpg

This is a question for Brian. All I can say is that for the plugin you must provide absolute or relative path to the image:
eg:
…/xxxx.jpg
It has to be a static Url, the image must have the same name all the time, it wont work with dynamically named images

[color=red][b]New Plugin