Meteotemplate - new free website template

OK, well I cant do anything about that, at least I am glad all the new updates work. Good job with the menu :slight_smile:

Thanks.
I know there are Air Quality pages but I have been trying to find a suitable source to show the Pollen count current or forecast but so far have only found sponsored pages with adverts on them . When you have the time is this something you could look into? As a hay fever sufferer it would be useful.

Hi you are probably like fifth person asking about pollen and I myself thought about it too, just 2 days ago we discussed this on the WX forum. Unfortunately not me nor anyone else was able to find a source of data. There used to be one great API that was free and had global coverage… and guess what, it was shut down 2 months ago because it violated copyright… the problem is that there are pages that have this info, but it looks like each state/country has their own webpage. I would need ideally some centralized page and pollen is specific for each country and state so it must use various sources of data. If you can find something like that Im more than happy to look at it…

Hi guys,

I created a new block for U.S. users that allows viewing the area forecast discussion provided by the NWS.

DEMO: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/indexBlockDemoNarrow.php?block=areaForecastDiscussion

Available for download in the blocks section as always.

Best regards
Jachym

P.S. The data source is not really ideal so I tried to format it the best I could, if you encounter any problems, let me know.

Hi guys,
one new plugin and two updates.

[color=red][b]New plugin

I am having a minor issue with my homepage taking ages to load when I use firefox (which is my preferred browser) it can take up to 2 mins to load. If I use IE it loads in a matter of seconds. Is there anything I can do to speed things up when using firefox?

Hi,
this cannot be related to the template, what I mean is - either the page is “big” - in which case it will take ages to load in any browser, or it loads fast and it will do so in every browser.

The only thing I can think of is if you have too many various extensions in FF, this could slow down FF and take up lot of RAM. The problem with FF is that it runs as one single process, unlike Chrome, where each tab is opened as a separate process (just look in your task manager, you will see separate entry for each tab), which is much better, because for example if for some reason one tab freezes, you can simply just kill that one tab, in FF you have to close the entire browser window.

But back to the point, if FF was slow, then all pages would load slow in FF and fast in IE. I cannot think of any reason why one particular page should load fast in IE and slow in FF. What about Chrome, have you tried that? Also, Meteotemplate homepage can be very big (Paul from Komoka has over 60 blocks on it… :smiley: and opening it on my old 1GB RAM laptop means it freezes…) however, they are load by ajax independently, so the homepage should more or less load instaneously and then the blocks should start loading gradually

@magical46:

Seems pretty slow to me too (Chrome), but there is a lot going on…

You can get impartial load time statistics at http://tools.pingdom.com/

Tried in Chrome:
The homepage loaded basically immediately (the top banner, blocks with loading spinners), then about 2-3s and blocks started loading, and within 10s everything was loaded.

About 20 seconds for me.

The problem is that there is just so many factors and it will differ from user to user, from time to time, just to name a few:

• server speed - how many people are currently connected and which sites are they viewing, are they accessing the db, how fast in general is the server

• computer - how fast is the CPU and how much RAM is there - affects the loading speed of the javascripts (graphs etc.)

• cache - did just some cache expire and so you were the user that refreshed it?

• external service response - some scripts are loaded from CDNs (jquery etc.) or use external sites - how overloaded are they currently and how fast do they respond

etc…

Hi guys,

several new plugins and blocks and also some updates.

[center]

[color=red][b]New Plugin

wow, these are great
great work on the Noaa reports too!

Hi
well something has upset my template now getting error 500
looking at the database with phpmyadmin the alldata says in use if I try to access it I get an error #144 and the automatic repair failed see attached looks like a start from beginning job any ideas before i try a delete alldata table if it will let me or at worse the whole database.

the cronjob appears to run but has played up over weekend lots of emails and a click of the link gave second attached

Harold

Hi Harold,

I have never seen this error before and I dont think it could be caused by the template, the whole table is inaccessible and I dont think PHP can do this, it is actually trying to access it correctly, but even PHP MyAdmin cannot access it.

Since deleting the alldata table is probably the most “drastic” scenario, I will try to investigate that problem first and let you know, so wait for now before doing anything.

OK looks like not everything is lost… it seems like a relatively common issue and most likely some temporary glitch on the server. But the problem is it cannot be fixed via phpMyAdmin.

See for example: http://blog.yannisassael.com/2015/05/phpmyadmin-says-table-in-use-mysql/

This means, if you have your own server, follow the instructions above. If not, contact your webhosting provider ASAP and ask them to help you, they should have access to command line for the server.

Hi Jachym

I have emailed my host.

thanks

Harold

Hi
well I got a reply with link to a webpage on how to repair database table using phpMyAdmin and yes it worked but it has lost most of my data in the alldata table in the process so a rebuild job the template is working but will not be fully correct till I finish the table rebuild i.e. import the data.

Harold

ok, well at least we made some progress… let me know if you need help with the import

This may have been covered somewhere but is there any way to update my page with data that WD picks up from the data logger after my computer has been switched off over night (or since I upgraded to windows 10 and it goes into sleep mode while I am at work despite having the power setting set to sleep NEVER)
Phil