No good forecasts to work with

Hi folks, i keep getting this error with wret and in turn have never been able to use autolearn any advice please?

Do you have the right path declared for the log files in wret.exe? A good thing to check is if you can get a Compare to Actuals graph to plot properly, in wret. Open that program, select a forecast from a few days ago, and then click that button. You should get a graph with the forecast as black lines and the actuals as red. If that doesnā€™t work, look at the weather station software type and the path to the log files (at bottom). The first thing to check with autolearn problems is wret, because autolearn is actually just a really convenient way to run wret.

Tom

Hi Tom, compare to actuals has always worked, no probs there, its when i choose a start point say a few weeks ago
Just trying one now from the 24th of this month and thats working to a point but it didnt get past that date, error in image

I also see this when using the original Auto Select way of doing the corrections.
I run through the normal way that I wrote in the FAQ and get the same as Simon with the ā€œInsufficient Dataā€ error window, although this morning I also got a Runtime Error 5, see the other attached image.

Not only does the number of days need to be 4 for this, but also you must auto select a wider range of dates. One day of data is actually insufficient (though Iā€™m not clear specifically how that message got triggered). When you try an autoselect, follow those directions you get by clicking on the blue ā€œhelp with auto selectā€ caption and make sure the second date is at least a few days after the first.

Iā€™m not sure that solves the deeper problem, but itā€™s at least a start towards figuring this out.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Iā€™ve sorted it. In my case I was doing the Compare to Actuals on the newest forecast run and then selecting one from a month or so ago to set as the earliest, then hitting Auto Select. #-o #-o #-o

I should have done the Compare on the oldest, set that as the earliest, and selected a newer one, then Auto Select.
All working fine when you follow your own FAQ. :oops:

Thats interesting, i was doing it the other way round, compare to actuals on the older forecast, then clicking auto, but
i think i had to click a newer forecast as the and then click auto :confused:

Iā€™ve just produced a short video which shows the button clicks and uploaded it to YouTube: https://youtu.be/1HXbEBZP4uM
Iā€™ve also added this to the bottom of the FAQ. :wink:

Sorry, Iā€™ve been sort of ā€œoff lineā€ for a few days, as I became a grandfather on July 1! :slight_smile: Our daughter and son-in-law are temporarily staying with us, so Iā€™ve been helping with baby stuff for the first time in 20 years! Somehow, it all comes back to you.

Iā€™ll try to get a look at this tomorrow.

Tom

Congrats Tom :slight_smile:

Bashy, are you still getting the error? One thing about Budgieā€™s video: it amy not actually matter, but my intention is that you close the Compare to Actuals form before doing the auto select, so that the settings you selected are definitely saved. Again, it might not actually matter.

Also, when you get an error message at a certain date, when all the rest was going well (and if that date is not in the last few days), itā€™s likely there is a problem with the .wxf file which is being read. I havenā€™t yet got wret.exe ā€œsmart enoughā€ to anticipate (or at least to correct) all the types of problems that might lead to an error. Seeing just where it stops often suggest what file to look at (either the last one listed, or the one right after it). In many cases, thereā€™s something obviously wrong (like itā€™s way shorter than the others, because the forecast process got aborted somehow). In such cases, deleting the offending file (which was not useful anyway) often solves the problem.

Let me know if that helps!

Tom

Hi Tom, i have always closed that 1st anyway :wink:

I think the error comes about when theres one or two dodgy forecast in the mix, all seems good for now :slight_smile:

It doesnā€™t seem to matter whether the Compare to Actuals window is left open or closed, Tom, it still saves the setting and runs normally.
I remember reading somewhere that you had to leave that window open, but that was quite a few updates ago, thatā€™s why I made the video that way. :wink: