Weather Display going non-responsive / crashing

Hi,

I have had a problem with weather display since upgrading to the newly compiled version. I have been monitoring the crashes and trying various possible workarounds to see if i could stabilise it but all to no avail i’m afraid. What i seem to have observed is that after about 6 hours of running the WeatherDisplay program becomes non-responsive. All other components appear to be running but the main program isn’t. The programerrorlog appears to show a resource problem “out of system resources”, and that would be logical with the fact it works fine for ~6 hours and then stops… so there must be a resource leak somewhere in the program??? In terms of system resources on the computer its not cpu or memory - they are fine, and other running programs like Nexstorm are working fine. If i just close WeatherDisplay and re-start it, it will run for another ~6 hours with no problems.

Any help or ideas much appreciated

Cheers, Andy

• WD version = 10.37R272
  • Weather station type = Davis VP2+ with solar, uv, leaf moisture & 2nd temp
  • PC operating system and brief spec = Windows 7 Prof SP1 32bit on Fujitsu Esprimo 2.7GHz Dual Core with 3GB RAM
  • other SW = Nexstorm, iSpy, McAfee Internet Security

I also believe I am seeing a resource/memory leak at work with b274. With b271 memory usage remain stable at about 168K, but now it is creeping up. In fact b271 was so stable I had stopped Start Watch, but noted that with b274 ram usage was over 1.3Meg so I restarted it. (both WD and SW).

Start Watch reports that it stopped or crashed 3 times at about 2AM all about 2 minutes apart. Now the memory usage is almost 600K and climbing, 9 hours after the last time WD was restarted.

WD is running on Server 2008 standard edition box.

UPDATE: Three hours later the memory usage is now almost 700K. I have Start Watch set to restart when memory use reaches 1GB, will see if it restarts WD in about 9 hours.

Follow up post:
I estimated it pretty close, at 11 PM memory use by weatherdisplay.exe exceeded 1GB, and StartWatch restarted the program.

I was actually trying to track down a possible memory leak…and had made some changes…must have been for the worse
are you able to pin point the problem by turning off different internet create functions?

you could try this version
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/weatherdisplaybetanew.zip

Downloaded 275, memory use still growing at about the same rate. Upgraded just over 12 hours ago and StartWatch reported memory usage up to 600K.

I had recently turned on the real time graph on the main screen, have not turned off and restarted WD as a test.

One difference I noted was memory useage shown by Task Manager (which shows private working set by default) and it had grown at almost the same rate that StartWatch reports. With 275 the private often dropped to as low as 6M, but the commit size (via resource monitor) was the growing memory usage. Know that’s not much help in finding memory leaks, but it is different than 274.

you could try turning that off as a test
it could be that
(then restart WD)

Done, will post results in the morning, I’m off to bed shortly.

WD ran almost 24 hours before memory usage exceeded 1GB and StartWatch shutdown and restarted WD.

I had recently added windrun to the main screen, have now turned that off also.

what is the current version you are using?

275 I downloaded from the link you provided above.

try the normal .zip download from the download page, now build 276

Running it now. The file date is 6/13, but it still says 275 on the main screen.

Memory usage is still growing, just over 400M after running about 7 hours.

I am not seeing that memory increase here
any errors under view, program event log?

but it still says 275 on the main screen
that means you do not have the latest .zip update I suspect

OK, unzipped the wrong file, now on 276.

Program event log is empty.

Mem usage still seems to be growing.

WD is running on a Windows 2008 Server, and weatherdisplay.exe will not run unless I run it in Server 2003 mode. Could this be contributing to the problem? 271 is the first version I have had to use compatibility mode.

I dont think that will be the issue
but if you could .zip and email me your settings files, I will test/check here

Memory leak apparently present in b276 but as a much slower rate than above. After about 72 hours memory usage was over 800M, and high memory usage appears to cause problems with webpage file creation.

Have upgraded to b278, will set StartWatch to restart WD at 500M and monitor.

are you able to test turning off some internet file creations to try and pinpoint where the problem is?

Turned off all file creation except the “clientraw” text files, and only these files were being uploaded to my webpage.

Wunderground Rapid Fire was also running, as was CWOP data send.

In 7 hours Memory usage increased from 150M to 190M.

any errors under view, program event log?
also does this problem still occur with version 279?