Changing to Marine Advisories and Alerts

All,

I am using the Saratoga E-C template for my site www.tenmilepoint.com. Works great, lots of compliments of the look & feel. It is used primarily by sailors and kayakers, and I

If you add the marine zone ID codes into the settings.php file for the zones you want it will work. You can also take out the land zones if you do not want to have those warnings

Thanks. The EC forecast link in Settings only controls the daily forecast, I think, which is fine. Nothing else in Settings seems linked to Alerts, unless I’m missing something (likely). I’m curious where the variable “$alertstring” is created. This is the variable that is displayed in the alert box of the home page if an advisory is issued.

Wxadvisory.php seems a likely spot to modify, but I’ll be flying blind…

I use the marine warnings on my page and the only place i have the zone code for the lake is in the settings.php file below is how it looks in that file loz062 is the code for my marine area

$SITE[‘NWSalertsCodes’] = array(
“Niagara County Click For Details|NYZ001|NYC063|LOZ062”,

Thanks. I’ll poke around again tonight. Looks like you use the NWS forecasts? I reference Environment Canada, but maybe similar code.

No, the NWS and EC code are very different.

The ec-forecast.php provides the $alertstring contents based on parsing the EC forecast page.

Ken,

Found it. However, looks like modification to use marine alerts in the alert box will be a significant modification to the template. If so, any ideas on alternatives to get at least regional EC marine advisories into my site; maybe via the wxadvisory.php page? The Canada-wide EC advisory is unnecessary for my audience.

Tomorrow, I’ll try simply modifying the EC page links, but it can’t be that straightforward. The relevant regional EC marine advisory page is http://weather.gc.ca/marine/region_e.html?mapID=03.

I guess I can try an iframe, but not very elegant.

Might be easier to process the text bulletins found on the Marine Text Bulletins page.