No fresh GFS data on Wxsim forecast today (06.04.15)

Hi,
today all runs used old GFS data.
Does it also happen to you?

To me the same thing is happening throughout the day.

All forecasts made today (3) have produced an error message from WXSIM:

[http://kocher.es/imagenes/wxsim-error.PNG](http://kocher.es/imagenes/wxsim-error.PNG)

Same here

There’s another thread about problems with the data, make sure you have McMahon selected in WxSimate. As for WxSim-Lite, I believe we’re still awaiting a fix for that data.

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/467672

• Jim

Cheers Jim

Thanks Jim,
i didn’t see this post.
Regards,

Alessandro

Good news - it’s fixed! :slight_smile: Fresh data (18Z fo June 4) is now posted.

We’re learning, a bit at a time. What happened here was that a highly unusual type of error occurred: instead of a missing or very small downloaded file (for which we have workarounds, which repeatedly request the file until it meets certain criteria), there was apparently a file downloaded which passed our tests (maybe these could be more stringent) but had just plain bad data in it. This would have resulted in only one bad download, but instead, the way we have the deleting of old files set up on the server, it failed to delete the old ones, and the server ran out of disk space, thus preventing additional runs.

We’re addressing all this. Thanks so much for your patience as we work out these (hopefully last) bugs!

Again, all data should be good now.

Tom

It’s still not working here - is there another thread which I can’t find with further information ? This is a couple of days old now.

Importing gives the “You’re not importing any model data” error.

No detailed forecasts are therefore produced and it’s been like this for several days now. I’ve tried changing McMahon/Bohler and selecting different servers to no avail.

Is there a solution ?

Kind Regards, Simon

See other thread for my reply on this…

Stuart

You need to check two more boxes: the RAOB and READY or GFS boxes. I don’t know how they got unchecked. There seems to be some type of rare glitch or error (which I’ve never been able to catch or identify) which causes WXSIM for “forget” these settings. Re-check the boxes, click OK, and set it up to run again, and you might not ever see this happen again (or at elast very rare, and you’ll know what to do next time).

Tom

I’m still getting error dialogs coming up with “No READY or GFS model data found”, even now. :frowning:

Bohler GFS: Server failed to update the 06/11/15/06z run.

Chris GFS: Server updated fine.

Hi tbrasel,

I did not have an issue as I download my data around an hour later than most. You missed it, as confirmed by Sam it was late arriving from NOAA.

Although having said that - my WXSIM-Lite did download 20150611-06z (as mentioned I download later) and utilised it without error, but when I looked at the data detail I found that line 171 contained a few"0" zeros for MSL etc.

Sam acknowledged that he and Tom are investigating the recent “0”'s and last issue “-127” etc issues and that it seems as though the NOAA servers themselves are having intermittent problems in delivering data at the normal timely intervals.

Tony,

I’m no longer seeing both the current and previous GFS downloads on Sam’s servers, but only the current run. I was wondering if you’ve noticed this as well.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes you are correct, I am seeing same as you only current 20150612-06Z Run, as opposed to previous as well.

This in my opinion, is not an issue as WXSIM-Lite is able to download it as current Run (which is good), though yes assume what your actual query is that the previous Run being 20150612-00Z is not now available (in keeping with) Tom/Sam’s previous posts.

I’m unsure as to why - though envisage that Tom or Sam will no doubt respond in due course, though at least you can rest assured that WXSIM-Lite has downloaded the most recent Run (and from looking at it - it is in good stead).

Tony,

Something changed. It seems the “previous” run is now being kept. I just checked and both the 12Z and the prior 6Z run are available.

Update: Well, this is interesting. With my latest forecast run, the 12Z run is still available, but the 6Z run has now disappeared.

Steve

Yes Steve, all looking good (data in last few have been good and timely) currently 2015-06-12-18 and 2015-06-12-12 available.

20150613-12Z missing last 2 lines (+177 and +180)

and 20150613-18Z also missing.

This morning the last one I have is 06 13th. Somethings is wrong again. Had to turn off Lite data in WXSim again.

Stuart

Bohler GFS: Server failed to update the following runs; 06/11/13 run, 06/13/15/06z run, 06/13/15/12z run, 06/13/15/18z run, & 06/14/15/00z run.

Chris GFS: Server updating fine. (can we consider adding gfs-wxsimlite data to chris’s server?)