wxsim lite vs wxsim

Hi folks

With regards to the 2 applications, which should i be using? or both?
What is lite for?
Does it produce the same files as wxsim?

TIA from a newbie to lite :slight_smile:

WXSIM-Lite is a new (released in January) tool which can make forecasts on its own, by modifying output from the GFS model according to “experience” with past forecasts and actual results. Its own output is not well-developed in terms of being independently useful (though it makes a nice graph). Instead, its output is saved in a file which WXSIM can then read, to influence (positively!) WXSIM’s forecasts. I have data showing that WXSIM-Lite, on its own, is usually a little more accurate (for temperature and humidity) than WXSIM is, on its own. However, the same data show that a MIX of the two (achieved by this “influencing” option) is better than either one alone. The final forecast is then made by WXSIM, with all the output options I’ve built up over the years, but now with this option to make it noticeably more accurate (for temperature and humidity).

I know you jsut moved and set up a new site. As soon as you’ve got WXSIM running how you want it, you could start using WXSIM-Lite in a preparatory data-collecting mode, which you should do for a few weeks so it can “learn” about your location. You might also want to use autolearn with WXSIM. Autolearn and WXSIM-Lite can actually work together to make the forecasts even better!

Tom

Thanks Tom, I will have a look and see whats what :slight_smile: