ConsoleWD and WM-918

Before the forum crash, this discusion was going on about the WM-918 and ConsoleWD. The last point was about the option to use a SYMLINK for devicenames. So not using /dev/ttyUSB0 (or like in the configfile only COM=N), but that /dev/Weather-USB or any other name that was dfined by using UDEV naming.

In the meantime I’ve been testing with the Console 12.1 version that was made as test to solve the DAILY-RAIN problem. it looked like it was working fine, but the last 2 days we are having rain, but something very strange is going on. If you have a look at WUNDERGROUND by my station, then you see a graph (and also in the TABEL) were 1 moment the “Precip. Accum” is 0 mm and a few minutes later it is 3 mm. (date April 29 and 30). http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=INHAMSTE6#history

So I did some debugging. If I have a look in the output that is displayed on the screen by CONSOLWD, then everything looks fine. But if I have a look in what is been put in the CROMWUDATA.TXT then something is wrong:

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi/w-disp/consolewdfiles# cat cronwudata.txt
http://rtupdate.wunderground.com/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?realtime=1&rtfreq=10&action=updateraw&ID=INHAMSTE6&PASSWORD=xxxxxx&dateutc=2015-04-30+21%3A22%3A23&winddir=232&windspeedmph=6&windgustmph=5&humidity=62&tempf=45.5&rainin=0.00&baromin=29.884&dewptf=33.2&weather=&clouds=&dailyrainin=[b]0.00[/b]&softwaretype=WeatherDisplay%3AWD_console_12.1
http://rtupdate.wunderground.com/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?realtime=1&rtfreq=10&action=updateraw&ID=INHAMSTE6&PASSWORD=xxxxxx&dateutc=2015-04-30+21%3A22%3A28&winddir=219&windspeedmph=3&windgustmph=4&humidity=63&tempf=45.3&rainin=0.00&baromin=29.884&dewptf=33.5&weather=&clouds=&dailyrainin=[b]0.12[/b]&softwaretype=WeatherDisplay%3AWD_console_12.1
http://rtupdate.wunderground.com/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?realtime=1&rtfreq=10&action=updateraw&ID=INHAMSTE6&PASSWORD=xxxxx&dateutc=2015-04-30+21%3A22%3A28&winddir=232&windspeedmph=6&windgustmph=5&humidity=62&tempf=45.5&rainin=0.00&baromin=29.884&dewptf=33.2&weather=&clouds=&dailyrainin=[b]0.00[/b]&softwaretype=WeatherDisplay%3AWD_console_12.1

But in my NOHUP file, then I see for the same date and time record:

http://rtupdate.wunderground.com/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?realtime=1&rtfreq=10&action=updateraw&ID=INHAMSTE6&PASSWORD=xxxxxx&dateutc=2015-04-30+21%3A22%3A23&winddir=232&windspeedmph=6&windgustmph=5&humidity=62&tempf=45.5&rainin=0.00&baromin=29.884&dewptf=33.2&weather=&clouds=&dailyrainin=[b]0.00[/b]&softwaretype=WeatherDisplay%3AWD_console_12.1
Wunderground data send Ok 23:19:23

http://rtupdate.wunderground.com/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?realtime=1&rtfreq=10&action=updateraw&ID=INHAMSTE6&PASSWORD=xxxxxx&dateutc=2015-04-30+21%3A22%3A28&winddir=232&windspeedmph=6&windgustmph=5&humidity=62&tempf=45.5&rainin=0.00&baromin=29.884&dewptf=33.2&weather=&clouds=&dailyrainin=[b]0.00[/b]&softwaretype=WeatherDisplay%3AWD_console_12.1
Wunderground data send Ok 23:19:29

http://rtupdate.wunderground.com/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?realtime=1&rtfreq=10&action=updateraw&ID=INHAMSTE6&PASSWORD=xxxxxx&dateutc=2015-04-30+21%3A22%3A33&winddir=232&windspeedmph=6&windgustmph=5&humidity=62&tempf=45.5&rainin=0.00&baromin=29.884&dewptf=33.2&weather=&clouds=&dailyrainin=[b]0.00[/b]&softwaretype=WeatherDisplay%3AWD_console_12.1
Wunderground data send Ok 23:19:33

So looks like that the CROMWU task is messing up some data. Is that possible?

ah
OK
I see the problem
fixed in version 12.2
(there have been some other reports of this too)
download from the download page (i.e the consolewdpi.tar.gz update
I also added to the config.txt
Comport custom=
put after the = e.g USB0 is default one

Are you sure that in the DOWNLOAD section the 12.2 version is located? Because the file date of the ConsoleWD is from April 7. Also in the output that is generated, I see that it is 12.1.

I also tried the Comport custom= option. If I try ttyUSB0, then I get an error:

www.weather-display.com
The serial device /dev/tty=ttyUSB0 does not exist or is not s tty
Could not open /dev/tty=ttyUSB0

If I try Comport custom=USB0, then I get:
The serial device /dev/tty=USB0 does not exist or is not s tty
Could not open /dev/tty=USB0
Check the port exist in “/dev”, or the permissions are set to rw-rw-rw

if I try Comport custom=Weather-USB, then I get:
The serial device /dev/tty=Weather-U does not exist or is not s tty
Could not open /dev/tty=Weather-U
Check the port exist in “/dev”, or the permissions are set to rw-rw-rw

So looks like there is also a limit on the length of the ALIAS.

humm
maybe the correct file did not get included in the .tar
as it should say 12.2
I will check on that
(and it should say that its found the custom port on start up that was in the config.txt )

I think the date on my raspberry pi is wrong…
anyway, re the custom port
do you have it like
Comport custom=USB0
in the config.txt?

Yes, as you can see in the examples i’ve put earlier in the conversation, it looks like it is adding the = sign in the device name.

It would be better that you have to input the complete name. Because if you could use an alias, then tty doesn’t has to be in the name.

ah, OK,I will change that to where you provide the complete name…and let you know

Yes, as you can see in the examples i've put earlier in the conversation, it looks like it is adding the = sign in the device name.

It would be better that you have to input the complete name. Because if you could use an alias, then tty doesn’t has to be in the name.

I just had the same trouble. I just removed “Comport custom=” from my config.txt and now it’s working

THanks for all the hard work. Other request: I see in other posts that there are some options to get the consolwd running in the background. Isn’t it possible to just make an extra option in the config file, so that it is only generating output if you realy like it. Or is it something I’ve missed an is there already?

vers 12.3 ready re the problem with the custom custom port

Thanks. It works perfect. I already did a few reboots of the PI. Doesn’t mather anymore on which USB number it is. Here are the important lines from the starting ConsoleWD. THe rest I’ve left out.

Station type raw=1<
Station type =1
Weather station type is an WM918
Will do wunderground updates
wunderground username = INHAMSTE6
Will upload to WU real time
Comport is USB to serial
Comport is custom USB to serial /dev/weather-USB
Weather Display vers WD_console_12.3

One advice for the WU upload. In the Realtime line you end with : &softwaretype=WeatherDisplay%3AWD_console_12.3

Maybe that is a bit to long. If you have a look at the “My PWS” then you see: Software: WeatherDisplay:WD_co