Problem with GFS download Data, NOAA METAR cycles files missing

Hi,

today i’ve this problem when try to download gfs data with wxsimate (just start download from wxsimate a popup display the message “NOAA METAR cycles files missing” and i need click to ok to continue with the download). I’ve already update to 5.8 but the problem is still present and is present in both sources (McMahon and bohler)

If i try to run wxsim it works fine but the result is totaly false (all days are p.cloudly)

Thanks in advance Davide

You cannot use Chris’ data for WXSim, switch to Bohler data from McMahon and re-run. Chris McMahon has had a huge problem with his server and the WXSim data is not available right now, it will be later though. Using Sam Bohler’s data works for me.

Stuart

I’ve solved chaching the source for Metar dowload and Bohler, i’ve set http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/cycles/ and all works fine.

Bye

anybody know if the GFS side of the server is still down, still getting error messages trying to run wxsim

I’m running OK by changing the GFS data download in WXSimate to Bohler because AFAIK Chrs McMahon’s data is not yet back.

Stuart

Im still getting the same even after changing to Bohler telling me Ready or GFS is 24 hours or more out of date
And GFS or Metar or SYNOP data too old Check WXSIM and GFS intialzation times
Been like it for two Days

Have you actually checked the dates in the file WXSimate creates to see when they were created? There is a header line for each block of GFS data with the date in it.

Stuart

Thank you for posting this thread. I was going nuts with a run time error 9 causing my wxsim to stop every time for the last couple of days.

Hi Everybody,

I’m just posting to let you know I’m present here on this “starting over” forum! Hopefully the Bohler sourcve is working for everyone (it’s been fine for me the last couple of days). I will try to get hold of Chris to learn about the status of his GFS data.

Tom

Probably related to the download issue.
I switched to Bohler, but when import the data I get a warning dialog with “You are not importing any model (FOUS, READY, or GFS) …” . I’ve the option to continue or ‘reply no’ to “have to opportunity to check the appropriate boxes”. But clicking on “no”, just closes the import - no chance to change the types of data to import.

Any idea how I can check the boxes ?

Hi,

I have been in discussion with Tom via email due to another issue i’d had. If you select in WXSIM, Start - Autorun and other settings, Disable Autorun but keep settings and then Import and Import Data, then you can select the boxes that you need.

This was driving me nuts and thanks to Tom for getting me there.

Cheers,

Andy.

Thanks, that worked
Bernd

I had this problem too. I’d switched to Bohler. I could see the data arriving in WXSIMATE & I could see it in the WxSim folder, but WxSim wasn’t convinced.
What eventually worked for me (this morning, before I read the above), was to restore a backup that hadn’t seen the “no GFS” issue. Before that I been trying all sorts to find a way to get to the Import Data window to come up to allow the relevant option to be tweaked.

PS. Hi to those who remember me (skyewright). I don’t get here much now. “Renewables” & “Green Building” issues get mainly my forum time nowadays…

I’m just doing the first manual run of the GFS scripts on the re-built server. I think everything is working now, but I’d appreciate some feedback to confirm that the data looks good. I’m not going to set the scripts to run on a scheduled basis until I’m sure they’re working. The 12z data is populating as I type. I’ll check back in the morning and if there’s positive feedback I’ll set the scheduling up.

Apologies for the long outage. Kind of a perfect storm with two disks failing at the same time, a partially lost backup and a very busy period at work.

Chris I just downloaded your 12Z data and compared some of it to Sam’s 12Z and all the data I looked at was exactly the same so on initial inspection it looks good, certainly the first big block of data from +0 to +180 was identical, I checked a few bits of the rest and it was OK. I have not run a forecast against it yet as it’s late here now and past my bed time :-)) I’ll check in the morning with a test forecast.

Stuart

Just doing a last manual run for 00Z, but it’s looking good so far.

00z run went well. Just set up the schedule job and it’s processing the 06z data now so we should be back up and running full time now.

Great job!
Thanks a lot Chris!!

Best regards,
Oebel

Thanks Chris! It’s so nice to have two sources of this data. Much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Tom

Hi Chris,

Thanks, everything works here as usual.

Best regards,

Piet