Server - 28th April 2015

What was actually the overall size of the entire forum bkp file? Just to get an idea, I mean the size of the db containing the posts, user settings etc.

Compressed for backup purposes it’s about 9GB. Not sure how much it takes up when expanded for use.

Wow, that isnt much, that could be uploaded even to some free cloud hostings, if encrypted then I wouldnt be worried about uploading an updated copy say every two to three months just to make sure I have a copy somewhere other than just my house/drives.

Approximately 8.5GB was being uploaded to a backup server every day. The other 500MB (the database) should have been too but it wasn’t for some reason. I don’t know why it wasn’t uploaded and have no easy way to find out now with the server having to be rebuilt.

As user of Hetzner, and having burning up a few of their crap consumer-grade HDD’s too, have you asked for/checked if the HDD’s are server-grade or crap consumer-grade?
Another tought, whats not that expensive, a SSD as extra disk. I use that by myself for mysql and “extra storage” outside the RAID.

Chris…thanks for all your hardwork. Yeah it does suck when this happens. We have all been there. Hope this shocks all of us out of complacency and make us run and check our backup systems. I have my once a decade situation and outside of one real HD failure it has been because of me. One 4tb drive of music for my DJ system, not backed up fully and had rare rips of vinyl, dropped on a floor when I picked up the laptop bag wrong. I didn’t know it was still in the bag. I sent it off to a drive recovery place in St. Louis (who I now find out are a rip off) and got all my files back. I have since made 3 dupes of it since the music is from the 40’s on up to recent (rock, country, blues, jazz, dance music). One 1tb external with my website config files on it and all my software iso’s and my Rasp Pi O/S’s…accidentally formated when I went to format a micro SD card for my Rasp Pi 2 and selected it by mistake. Couldn’t recover it but most of it was backed up. I have since made sure the weather station computer, video capture computer and main computer’s VIP files are backed up on a constant basis. So I hope this wakes us all up to check and double check our systems.

Busy time…I have an important regulatory visit at work next week so this all came at a bad time!

Anway, things are slowly coming back online. I think most of WML should be working. The data downloads seem to check out so hopefully you’re getting data into your clients now.

I’m working on the GFS data now. Missing Perl modules are the first problem, but I also have some re-compilation to do as well. Hopefully that will be back online tomorrow, if not tonight.

Please bear with me…I’m getting there!

How about users who signed up for WML after the end of the backup. Can you re-create those or should they contact you?

I should have the Paypal records to show their subscriptions. I’ll contact them once things are up and running well.

Sounds good :smiley:

My WML shows an invalid serial number right now… I’ll check again tomorrow.

Stuart

I just checked bot WML and Chris’ WXSim GFS/Advection data and it all seems back ON now. Hopefully this will continue now and Chris has everything sorted - looking hopeful. Sterling work Chris and much appreciated.

Stuart

Thanks for letting me know WML is working again. I thought I’d fixed it but I’m working on a Chromebook with no Flash so I can’t test it just now.

Well strangely it has stopped working again. I get invalid serial number followed by Error contacting server. Dont know when it stopped as I dont use it a large amount.

Stuart

I’m getting the same error messages. One of the local users pointed it out to me.

Another disk failure 8O 8O 8O :x :x :x :x #-o #-o #-o

Disk has been replaced, RAID rebuilding, trying to fix corruptions, thinking of my next options!

Do you have a backup in case the second disk crashes like last time? Just so we dont lose what remained after last crash

maybe there is something else going on…
maybe the pc is running too hot…or the disk controller has a fault…
3 raid disks in a couple of weeks is not right…

one thing that is working better re the forum is the list of unread posts is not loosing posts for me like it has done at times before

Funny, to me does not work, the same error messages. Only some works.
http://www.celin-web.com/wdisplay/wxwml2.05.php
:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Evening started now, not all stations from the original setting.
http://www.celin-web.com/wdisplay/wxwml2.05.php

:smiley: :lol:

Thanks,