12.11.1 beta ready

I know it’s been just one week since the official 12.11 release, but I’ve had reason to make some changes already! The extreme weather gave an excellent testing opportunity, and brought into focus some suspicions I was already having about the learning routine. Then, they called off school (too cold for Atlanta kids, I guess: 6 degrees F (-14.4 C) this morning), so I spent most of the day carefully researching, testing, and implementing some changes.

First, I’ve been having a hard time wrapping my head around some of the statistical/probabilistic issues with the learning routine, especially the “slope” factor. This control whether the temperature wants to “hug” normal more closely, or feel more free to “wander”. It actually doesn’t have much effect in normal weather, but (as I really found out here) can have a large effect when there are large temperature excursions from normal.

I had it mostly (80:20) paying attention to error versus departure of forecast from normal, as opposed to paying attention to error versus actual departure from normal. I felt this made sense, as the correction is of course acting on the forecast (not the actuals - now that would be something!!!). I was aware of a possible problem due to multiple forecasts in one day (you may have seen the little slanted trains of dots on one of the graphs), but artificial examples I was using to study it showed only a small difference between the two approaches. Real data (some my own, but most of it from some of you … thanks!) showed the difference was actually significant in many cases. I finally realized that it’s not just multiple forecasts in a day, but the whole idea of basing the corrections off the departures from normal for forecasts that have “random” error, as well as systematic error, which causes the problem. To complicate matters some, that’s not all bad, because the non-random component still has some value. It’s ironic, but random error was systematically producing a bias!

Basing this correction factor off actual departures from normal avoids this bias, but also loses some valuable information. I couldn’t seem to decide which approach is better, and was thinking of splitting the difference (50:50), but fortunately has extreme test data (having saved the wdata.txt files from some runs over the last few days), so I was able to empirically arrive at a weighting tentatively 60% actual (though with a correction applied to make it relevant for a function of forecast departure from normal) and 40% forecast. My “retrocasts” are now excellent, generally within a degree or two of the 6 F low and 26 F high we had today.

I also made a change in WXSIM, to improve a protection against bad extrapolations. I came up with a sort of “bell” shaped function which smoothly weakens the correction factors out in the range where data is sparse, so that in very “unfamiliar territory”, it leans back towards what it would be doing without the correction factors (but not completely).

I know that’s a bunch of technical stuff, but I’ve been thinking about it all day, and thought I’d share! :slight_smile:

OK, the new versions (consider them “beta”, as there could be more tweaking). Just get these two files and use to replace the ones you have:

www.wxsim.com/wxsim.exe
www.wxsim.com/wret.exe

Hopefully, they are bug free (in fact, I did a workaround in WXSIM for an error 62 which one or two people reported in 12.11). In any case, it seems to be a real improvement, over 12.11 and anything since I started with the learning routine (and autolearn).

Let me know how it goes!

Tom

Thanks Tom,

Downloaded - running no issues thus far. oops now there is.

Installed around 17:30 Wed, next auto runs at 19:00 and 22:00 (both no issues).

I run at (04:00, 07:00, 10:00, 13:00, 16:00, 19:00, 22:00) AEDT and specifically staying away from the midnight mark.

Then next Autolearn Run (runs at 01:15 each morning (Ran fine logs here http://hrvistaweather.com/wxsimerrimages/).

But awoke this morning at 05:30 to find GFS erroe (image attached) the 04:00 AutoRun failed gfs data too old.

ReRan in manual , GFS Imported without error but on completion of WxSim run (resulted in GFS error out of date again).

Have left in auto now waiting for the 07:00 run , to see what happens.

Also noted that normally WxSimate imports Atmos.Albany data but that did not show up when importing the 05:00 manual. Was very quick but looked like some other NOAA ref which I’ve never seen before.

regards
Tony

Thanks Tom!

And for me first run with no problems (except error 52 caused unchecked “Omit log files”)

I attach you some files if you want to check.

Nick

errdate_before.jpg

errdep_after.jpg

correc.txt (18.1 KB)

lastret.txt (30.4 KB)

Hi Tom,

Both are in production and running well.

Thanks for your continued support.

John

Hi Tom,

Update on my earlier post.

The autorun at 07:00 resulted in issues, I feel it is most likely due to slow Internet, my Weather site is hosted in Dallas Texas, (I’m in Tasmania (never have issues, but currently experiencing slow load times on my site from here (usually instant).

I have since day one run WxSimMate to update at hh:08 and WxSim Autorun at hh:12 (never had issues.

However this o7:00 run resulted in WxSimMate commencing at 07:08 and did not complete download until hh:15 , so WxSim autorun commenced on schedule at 07:12 (prior to mate completing.

Reluctant to change times as off to work now and if I change it means about 45 mins work changing heaps of scripts/ftp times etc. so will have to let it run for now at original times.
Attached image depicts download file which was taking ages.

Upadte: 10:00 run also failed (took nearly 15 mis to download the met.fsu.edu data ?
Alsonote that all other internet speeds back to normal - it just seems to be an issue with met.fsu.edu ?
regards
Tony

Dear Tony,

I saw that you have checked the day light savings time DST.

Maybe this causes your issues!

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for that , but we are currently still in DST in Tasmania, Australia.

regards
Tony

I have some problems with this. I was getting 403 errors from WXSim so I upgraded to this version and now I’m getting Overflows. See attached image.

Any ideas ?

Kind Regards, Simon

Update: I turned off gfx from blue screen in forecast run as per 2012 post on the forum and it made no difference except I now get the 403 error again. See image.

Help !

For the 403 error, try changing the synoptic data source (or just don’t get synoptic - METAR is better). As for the error 6 in WXSIM, if that happens again, I’d like to see your custinit.txt and wdata.txt files, to see if I can replicate it. Let me know what you find.

Tom

Hi Tom,

My WxSimMate has never had the ability to change sources since day one. They are just greyed out - is it a Win7 thing ? (see my earlier posted images).

oh Downloads now better but think internet is (globally a tat sick) forecasts running normal again, however used to see data import from atmos.ablany.edu since day one now (unless it’s that quick - donot see it).

Todays High Temp forecast (07:00 run) was 27c and then the (10:00 run) jumped to 31c normally only see a 2 degree jump between 07:00 and 10:00.
regards Tony.

Tom,

I had the run time error ‘6’ on 2 of my 8AM and 10AM autoruns this AM. However, the problem didn’t occur again after that. I assumed it must have had something to do with the data WxSimate was collecting for the 8AM and 10AM runs.

Steve

Tom,

The “Overflow 6” error" in Autolearn, has disappeared since last Tuesday, without making any change, even a reboot as my friend Nick from Oraiokastro proposed!

He experienced the same issue once, and told me that it disappeared after a pc reboot (a memory-buffer overflow perhaps?).

Auto learn is working flawlessly since then! If something changes, I’ll let you know!

Thanos

Good Morning Everyone,

Thank-you for replies & suggestions.

A reboot of Win7 seems to have cured Overflow 6 - I only switched to Win7 at the weekend so perhaps this is indeed an OS issue.

Turning off Synop seems to have stopped 403 errors too. Thank you Tom.

I noticed that turning off the gfx option when running a forecast prevents lastret.txt being made… so turned it back on :wink:

Will keep an eye on it and come back if it breaks !

Have a great day !

Regards, Simon

Up and running without any problem.
Regards,

Alessandro

Thanks Tom,
I have installed it and I will let you know how it goes. I am particularly interested because we have had some blasts of very hot weather here, with a couple of days with temps of around 40

I just uploaded a new “beta” version of WXSIM:

www.wxsim.com/wxsim.exe

Use that to replace the wxsim.exe you already have. It still says 12.11.1.

I had gotten a couple of reports of an overflow error (number 6) and was planning to use files sent to me for the purpose to sleuth that out, when it suddenly happened to me! I was able to very quickly find and fix (I think!) the error. The problem was simply my use of the Cint function instead of Int for rounding off. A value in the advection code could exceed 32767 (maximum integer size) and trigger the error (Int doesn’t mind this, and I’ve replaced Cint in this case with Int(x + 0.5)). I believe this potential error has existed for a long time, and may have shown up occasionally, but my change of the “distance ratio” default from 1.15 to 1.1 seems to ahve made it more likely to occur. Again, this error, anyway, should now be fixed, and my testing so far shows no negative effects.

Tom

I’m getting a Runtime Error 5.

Also this quite a lot.

I think this is related to an error I’ve had where I have set my Calvert Trust Kielder forecast to use pre-forecast snow cover. wxsim doesn’t seem to like that, I’ve had “no forecast snow information in previous forecasts” style error a lot. I’ll try again without initialising with previously forecast snow.

edit: no that doesn’t sort the problem… oh well I will go back to the latest official release.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for that report. Does the error happen every time? Can you supply a screen shot which includes the background as well as the error message?

Thanks!

Tom