Problems with wx advisories on my page

I could not agree more…

I successfully made the conversion - none too soon. I do have one issue with the “new” script and I am certain it is a setting someplace I missed in my haste to get it operational.

I had, in the previous version, my alerts showing as (example):

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
Carroll County - Benton County

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH
Madison County - Weakley County…

Now it displays as:
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - Carroll County - Benton County
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - Madison County - Weakley County…

I would like it to go back to that original (1st) layout. What setting did I overlook? Keep in mind I implemented this while under the gun… seriously - with Severe T-Storms, all over the place and in addition to my Weather Watching duties for the NWS I had to do this really, really quickly. Things have settled down for now weather wise… but in my quick haste I uploaded over top the original files and now cannot recall the settings.

If you address them all as https, would the unconverted ones serve the http data by default?

To my knowledge, the unconverted ones will fail and you will get nothing… no data whatsoever. At least that is what brought it to my attention today.

Hi, I’m just getting caught up with this. I am using the v3 USA template with Weather Display and have updated the atom-advisory.php, atom-top-warning.php, get-meter-conditions-inc.php and nws-alerts.php. Following the updated I am getting a parse error on my wxadvisory.php page, cannot track it down. I was hoping Ken or someone may have a suggestion on what I may have done incorrectly. Possibly I have missed some previous updates that may be needed.

Thanks,
Paul

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 7.36.03 AM.png

Hi Paul,

Ken has suggested that PHP version may be the source of this type proplem on another forum…
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=fa8d10c69b3a7718c7c119f53dc67d3f&topic=29656.msg291608#msg291608

Hope this helps,
Gus

Thanks Gus! That was the issue. Even though my web host cpanel indicated I was using 5.4, the indication really meant that 5.4 was available to use. I made the switch from 5.2 to 5.4 and now the advisory works again.

I did have some fallout from the change however, I am getting a couple of error messages, attached. I’ll see if I can figure out the issue. I also maintain a second site which is still using Saratoga v2 templates and there are additional errors there. I’ll need to finally get that site on to v3, held off as long as I could :-).

Thanks again,
Paul

If you search the forum, someone made 3 new files for the who’s online script to fix those errors.

Thanks Mark, I’ll follow up on that.

Another thing I would suggest is to use version 5.6 php If you have it available.

The other errors from the fly out menu and buoy page would be fixed it you updated your Saratoga pages to version 3.

Yes, I need to upgrade my second site to V3. Re version 5.6, it is available to me, says it is in beta so I was reluctant to try it. The upgrade options I have are attached. The one I upgraded to was the Single php.ini ver of 5.4

I think that’s old information and as Mark suggests you would be safe switching to 5.6.

I tried using 5.6 but it caused an issue with the dashboard I use, so I went back to 5.4.

Using either version has also resulted in my cloud height graphic not showing, cannot figure out why. Has anyone experienced this when upgrading to 5.4+ ?

Thanks

The reason your having problems with your dashboard is because its 7 years old. If you updated your dashboard to Scott’s latest, php 5.6 wont be an issue. You wont find any support for the dashboard your currently running unfortunately.

Hi Ken…thanks for the updates, advisors back on line here in Maryland

Steve

Thanks Mark, I suspected that would be the case. I haven’t taken the time to change the dashboard over the years since I was content with what I have. Time to reconsider.

OK Gentlemen
I have wore myself down and nearly pulled all my hair out over this one.
My nws-alerts.php hast suddenly quit working.
I keep getting a time out even after extending to 5 seconds over the 2 seconds
Added the suggested lines for godaddy and still fails.
check-fetch-times comes back with this response once every 3 to 4 times only otherwise it times out also.

–checking NWS Warning Zone ATOM/CAP Feed –
Using $SITE[‘noaazone’] entry for test.
URL: https://alerts.weather.gov/cap/wwaatmget.php?x=AKZ121
Cache: ./cache/atom-advisory-AKZ121.txt
GET /cap/wwaatmget.php?x=AKZ121 HTTP/1.1
Host: alerts.weather.gov Port: 80 IP=23.217.102.111
HTTP stats: dns=0.001 conn=0.067 put=0.000 get(7 blocks)=0.070 close=0.000 total=0.138 secs
fetch function elapsed= 0 secs.
RC=301 Moved Permanently, bytes=195

Headers returned:

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Server: AkamaiGHost
Content-Length: 0
Location: https://alerts.weather.gov/cap/wwaatmget.php?x=AKZ121
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 07:16:00 GMT
Connection: clos

viewing page source after enacting nws-alerts manually returns this

(only a partial sample)

web site is www.kenaiweather.com/check-fetchitimes.php
and www.kenaiweather.com/nws-alerts.php?mu=1.php

I am running the ltest version from Ken True.

Thanks for the help in advance

Ken

Edit: Godaddy server using PHP 5.6

It looks like there is a temporary connectivity issue from your GoDaddy webserver to alerts.weather.gov – try calling GoDaddy tech support and ask them to log on to your webserver and run

wget https://alerts.weather.gov/cap/wwaatmget.php?x=AKZ121

themselves and see the result (timeout). Then they can start diagnosing why the webserver can’t connect to the alerts.weather.gov server.

BTW, the result you see with check-fetch-times.php is the Akamai response to a query to *.weather.gov that doesn’t have a User-agent: header in the request. I’ll have to update the utility to test with https+User-agent in the query.

Here’s an addendum:

I just tried the wget, and found a SSL certificate mismatch

wget --no-check-certificate Current Watches, Warnings and Advisories for Western Kenai Peninsula (AKZ121) Alaska Issued by the National Weather Service
SYSTEM_WGETRC = c:/progra~1/wget/etc/wgetrc
syswgetrc = C:\gnuwin32/etc/wgetrc
–2016-10-07 08:41:15-- Current Watches, Warnings and Advisories for Western Kenai Peninsula (AKZ121) Alaska Issued by the National Weather Service
Resolving alerts.weather.gov… 23.34.166.87
Connecting to alerts.weather.gov|23.34.166.87|:443… connected.
WARNING: cannot verify alerts.weather.gov’s certificate, issued by /C=US/O=Symantec Corporation/OU=Symantec Trust Network/CN=Symantec Class 3 Secure Server CA - G4': Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority. WARNING: certificate common name weather.gov’ doesn’t match requested host name alerts.weather.gov'. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK Length: 3025 (3.0K) [text/xml] Saving to: wwaatmget.php@x=AKZ121’

100%[======================================>] 3,025 --.-K/s in 0s

2016-10-07 08:41:15 (8.84 MB/s) - `wwaatmget.php@x=AKZ121’ saved [3025/3025]

It may be that the failure is due to the certificate mismatch even though the code has

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER, 0);

to ignore certificate mismatches.

Tried to call go-daddy and asked them to run that command and they say it works
Not sure where to go next
Here are the files I’m using.

The ones with -new are the newest from Ken True,and fail also.

nws-alerts.zip (32 KB)