Possible fix for "GFS too old" problem on first run of the day

Hi Everybody,

It seems that since the last update, some users have been having an issue with an error message (which doesn’t stop the program, but may be making a bad forecast) saying the GFS (or other) data is more than 24 hours old. I have not figured out yet what it might be about the last update that would cause this to start happening now, but I do have what might be a fix. Please try this new version (but save your current wxsim.exe file somewhere in case there’s a problem with this update):

www.wxsim.com/wxsim.exe

Just use that to replace the wxsim.exe you have.

This one not only updates the date, but also the time, BEFORE trying to import data. I think it will provide a layer of protection against that error (which I’m still trying to fully understand).

Meanwhile, I have found issues people should be aware of, like making sure your DST boxes are all checked (if that applies). Also, I found one case where a customer’s WD log files appear not to have updated for over an hour during the night (so he got old data becase of that). Just things to be aware of.

By the way, I would be interested to hear from people who have Version 12.10 and have NOT had any error messages with the first run of the day. I’m trying to figure if it’s a time zone-related thing, or something about the choice of run times (and anything I might have changed going to 12.10).

Please let me know if this fixes things! :slight_smile:

Tom

Tom I have not seen this error and I’m in GMT with DST enabled.

Stuart

Tom,

I’m in CDT and have seen the message once, but only that one time.

• Jim

I’m not quite sure yet what it took to cause this (hopefully fixed) error, but it may have been from having a late evening forecast run followed by an early morning one, and maybe only in certain time zones. Of course, I want to know if the new version works even for people who didn’t have the error! :slight_smile:

Tom

I’ve installed this update and will see what happens over the next couple of days.

Stuart

Run-time error 52 occurred in running this morning. And program crashes

Run-time error 70 occurred in running this morning. And program crashes.
:roll: :oops: #-o

Runtime error 70 usually means two copies of the program are open (I’m not sure why the error 52 happened). Can you make sure only one copy is open (either looking at the bottom task bar or maybe using Task Manager)? Please let me know if it happens again!

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,
no problem here.
Regars,

Alessandro

Hi Tom

Working fine here. I did find that when I got the “GFS 24 hour old” messages if I switched from McMahon to Bohler for my data the problem disappeared. I know Bohler’s data is supposed to be as a backup, but in my case it seems to work better.

Cheers

:smiley:

MikeyM

The new beta, solved my problem with GFS too old :slight_smile:

Thank you Tom

Excellent! :slight_smile: Several people had seen that error, so it’s really a relief to have it solved.

Tom

Problem solved

Thanks to Tom :lol: