One Wire Lightning Detector Antenna Siting

I’ve recently acquired the 1 wire lightening detector. I have it all indoors and have found there are too many false responses from the operation of lamp and wall switches in the room it’s in. Has anyone found that moving the antenna outside on the roof eliminates these false responses?

I would say yes, that would be a good move
(there has been discussion about this before on the forum (many years ago now)
but it is surprising how far those relatively weak electrical noises can go

how long is the aerial?

I’m using the length of wire that came with it for an antenna. It’s about 24 in. long. I’m kinda surprised discussion in this forum of the 1 wire lightning detector hasn’t gone much beyond the trials of trying to get it to work with Weather Display. Oh, well, maybe people have gotten a lot out of reading this article about it: http://www.carterlake.org/lightningdetector_1-wire.php

there was lots of discussion about aerial length many years ago
(e.g shortening it, to say 12 inches)

Hi Bunty,

If you acquired this detector and not bought the latest model, you might want to check the model number, because the latest model does reduce the number of false strikes. If you have the latest version, then as Brian suggested, shorten the antenna but you will also reduce lightning distance.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Bunty

I haven’t had one for awhile; but when I did it was mounted outside about 15’ high or so. I would still get some false strikes every day. What Brian added to the lightning display was an option to set the lower limit of the display. It’s like a clipper, once of have an idea of how many false strike you are getting, you can adjust the display not to show them. Example, let’s say I was getting 4 false strikes/hour I could adjust the display to show all strikes greater than 4. It makes for a cleaner display and helps to show when an actual storm is approaching.

Ed