Newbie help please.

Hi folks.
I’m very new to Linux, so apologies if this sounds dumb, but as they say the question that isn’t asked is the one that should be, or something like that!

My intention is to set up a weather station at my retirement project in France, sounds grand but it isn’t I assure you, this would assess the viability of generating electricity by wind turbine and how much.

So I purchased a Maplin weather station with USB interface, I believe it is the Fine Offset WH1081.
I have an Asus EeePC 901 running Ubuntu 12.04 (The first incarnation was from a cover CD of 12.04 was the 64 bit version which didn’t start me off on the right foot! It now has the 32bit version and seems to run OK.) #-o
So I downloaded the Linux version of Weather Display onto my EeePC in the Downloads folder.
I expanded the tar into Home as suggested in the Readme.txt file.
I’m sorry but this it where it all goes wrong for me, what do I do know?
I’m Mac orientated and therefore used to having a .dmg to click on!
i know I’m missing something but don’t know what. :oops:
Success so far has installing SAMBA and tightvncserver which both work well. I can control the EeecPC from my Mac no problem and can shuffle files to and fro.
My ultimate intention is to get Weather Display up and running on my Raspberry Pi for a low power permanent installation in France.
Though it is very rural I have broadband - just - 512K and it certainly won’t get any faster for a long time! But is enough and is reasonably reliable to ‘see’ my camera and temperature sensor out there.

Edit:
I have tried entering cd wdisplay
To which I get:
ian@ian-eeepc:~/wdisplay$
I now entered:
./GoWeather.sh

It now hangs after:
[HINT] TWinControlCreateWind creating Handle during loading MainForm: TMainForm c
sDesigning=False

And that’s it!
I also get the splash screen with Weather Display and an orange bar quarter of the way across with ‘Loading extra sensors graph’ under it.

Can anybody shed any light on what’s wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Ian

it could be a permissions problem

re the rasberry pi
there is another thread about getting consolewd compiled on that…there is progress

Hi Brian

Thanks for the reply.
A permissions problem, umm if I add sudo before ./GoWeather.sh will that solve the hanging problem?
Sorry, as I said I’m a very new to Linux and it’s vagaries!

Re the Raspberry Pi, thanks for the heads up.
I think I’m going to get Weather Display working on the EeePC then transfer my energies to the Raspberry Pi.
Tinkering with the Mac version I am getting a temp of 13

Here is a screen shot to explain what I am getting.

Hi
Did u get it working? I’m experiencing the same problems here when starting GoWeather.sh

I’m using Debian v7.1

Bengt

one thing I see wrong from the post above is a small w instead of a large W

also you could setting to be logged in and running as root

Went into the GoWeather.sh and commented out the check for root user, and ran it as root, still the same issue…
I also ran the chmod 777 on th wdisplay folder and all files and folders in there… same problem…

Bengt

when you say same problem
what exactly is that problem?

Same problem is when running ./GoWeather.sh, this message comes

[HINT] TWinControl.CreateWnd creating Handle during loading MainForm:TMainForm csDesigning=False

And the splash screen stops on “Loading extra sensors graph…”

And then nothing more happens.

Bengt

you could try deleting the settings files
WDISPLAY.INI and wdisplayftp.ini
and the data files and logfiles folders

Nope… no go… Theres not even a wdisplay.ini, wdisplayftp.ini is there…

Whats the recomended linux distro for installing wdisplay?

Bengt

it could be a permissions problem
or maybe a missing GTK2 library

Hello,

I am new on Linux too and i am trying to run WD for days. I have ubuntu 12.04 LTS and have exactly the same problem as larichardson.
I didn’t start a new topic because the problem is exactly the same and seem to be un-solved.
Installing various packages doesn’t change anything. Or maybe the most important is missing, but what is it? How to get it?

Though i am not alone to meet this issue, (frozen at “loading extra sensor graph”) it would be glad if you could give me a solution.

Thank you by advance,
Youri.

As far as i can remember WD wouldn’t work on anything beyond ubuntu 11.10. When i was using that i had to add all the 32bit librarys and gtk files too, use the synaptic package manager and download everything that relates to these. Also when you come to start WD in the terminal make sure You type ‘sudo’(to get root) before ‘GoWeather.sh’.

I use the raspberry pi version now and i highly recommend it as the instructions on here are very concise and they only cost

Hi. Thanks for your answer, but it doesn’t help me very much as i didn’t understand exactly what you mean:

-You mean it is impossible to do it work with ubuntu 12.04 LTS ?

If it is just possible, i just would like to know what i should do for that. Install what kind of packages, and all.

User manuel say i must habe libc installed and GTK.

But i never found a package named libc, and for GTK, there are too many of them and i don’t know which i should install. I trid several but it needs another package, that need another package again, and finally fail. I’m gonna get mad!

No its not possible to use it on ubuntu 12.04. You need 11.10 or older I’m afraid.

Thank you for your answer. So I should change my Linux distrib. Does WDLinux works with the latest versions of Debian?

I have been meaning to update my linux pc to the latest version of ubuntu and then compile against that
just have not had the spare time yet

Youri - I believe WD works with Debian (in fact, isn’t that what the Raspberry Pi folk load to run WD?) . I had it running last year on a Debian system because of the non running issue with Ubuntu (and some other distros such as PCLinuxOS).

Brian - If you can get WD running on the Ubuntu family that would be great!

Hello!

Currently i use a virtual machine to run WD through a virtual windows 7. But my main system is now Fedora (the latest version). The problem with WD is exactly the same as in Ubuntu 12.04.