La Crosse WS-2355

I have a La Crosse WS-2355 station with damaged rain guage wiring, the wiring has been pulled out of the unit and the cable badly mangled. I have made off a new cable to connect to the transmitter unit using the standard RJ12 configuration of black, red, green and yellow but am lost at the rain guage end as to which wires connect to the reed switch which only has two soldered connections. I am assuming the switch is only a momentary close switch and is normally open circuit and have tried all the permutations I can think of without success. Can anyone tell me what the wiring diagram is. Regards John

John

I have a 2357 but I believe the rain-gauge is the same for all the 23xx series.

The connections on mine are in two pairs, yellow with green, red with white. Looking at the pcb with it in place, and with the tipper-buckets away from you, the left connection is yellow/green and the right is red/white (see photo).

I note that the colours you quote are slightly different from the ones in my unit, but the individual wires are not crossed so there are only two ways round it could go :wink:

Hope this is of use.

Tony

On mine it was just the inner pair ie wires 2 and 3 that were the connections at both ends. It does not matter which way around either, because it is just a leaf switch action.

Tony & TokKiwi. Thanks for your replies, I have tried both suggestions but am still without a reading, I guess I have a faulty rain guage, it has had a pretty rough life and isn’t a patch on my Davis gear.http://www.jsmith.id.au It’s a pity as I was hoping to put it in a sale that our local radio group are having but without the rain guage and anemometer I doubt if anyone will be interested. Regards John

You can replace the reed switch - they are cheap and easy to replace. It was a COMUS 2722 20-50. It is a slightly different size and higher sensitivity but works fine for me. Body length was 18.5mm, 2.6mm width.

If you are looking for a replacement rain bucket, you can use alternative brands -best are round ones, but there would be a ratio difference based on area. WD can accept a change I believe.

I have checked the reed switch and it makes each time the bucket tips, I have also checked the RJ12 plug and that is made off OK, so the problem is with the thermo-hygro sensor or the base station. The base station is sensing temperature, the problem then must be in the rain sensor circuitry, either as it passes through the thermo-hygro sensor or as it is received by the base station, either way not economic to resolve. Regards John

It may be an issue with the cleanliness of the socket in the hygro - they often can get a copper corrosion in there so using CRC and a cotton bud can clean it out and improve the contact. It seems, esp in temperate climates, that a protective anti moisture spray is useful every 6 months or so to most weather stations to protect the connections - and with any external cabled equipment, eg 1-Wire networks etc.

You may be right - it could well be in the hygro and nothing will fix it except a replacement. I have replaced mine twice due to the humidity sensor going south. Hence my issues with moisture…

I have a 2350 and I agree that many 23xx parts are interchangeable.

However, I have a similar problem, but with the anemometer, it stopped during a 50kt plus storm (I live on an island off the SW coast of Ireland) so I thought it was kaput. A week ago it woke up and worked with WD for 24hours and then stopped again. I then began to examine the base station and noted that the time was wrong and that there was no automatic wireless update icon visible. I reset the unit but same thing. I have had a look at the hygro unit but it seems to be OK, a few cobwebs, nothing else.

My question, is the unit faulty? I have the remotes directly connected, and on ac power, no batteries. Is there any fix for the time input and /or is it related to the anemometer issue??

Thanks for any advice. Barry