Recovering From Cold Shutdown?

Hi folks,

My PC had a couple of cold shutdowns last week coincidentally due to a power cut, and then a hardware failure.

WD seemed to survive the power cut, but when rebooted after the hardware failure it wouldn’t connect to my Vantage Vue. When I checked it seemed to have lost the configuration, so I ran through the configuration wizard.

It has also lost its records e.g. maximum barometer, which I can live with, but it’s a little frustrating.

Is there any recommended approach if this happens again? Should I restore settings from somewhere, or do something else?

TIA

There should be a backup folder within the WD folder, the .ini file there holds all the settings.

To elaborate on what 4wd is saying; If you have a recent build of WD it will be set by default to create backup files within the program folder.
These backups include the main settings file called WDISPLAY.INI.
Go to your WD program folder and look for a folder called “databackup”, there will hopefully be a zip file in there called “databackup42012.zip”, un-zip this folder and located the WDISPLAY.INI file, copy and paste it into the main wdisplay program folder (with weather display closed!!) and when you restart WD all your settings and records should be restored.

OUTSTANDING info that saved the day (or my wifes butt since she panicked during a power outage an turned off the UPS instead of shutting down!).

Thank You!

It might be a good idea to have that backup file backed up elsewhere as well, in case of a hardware failure. If you’re sending your data to a web site, WD has provision to back that file up to your site.

Agreed! I have the whole computer backed up to a RAID drive.

Thanks
ALR