Runtime error 5

Hi Tom,

Screen full of theese today when checked on my headless wx-puter why forecast not has updated for 1.5 days (last successful saturday 11:45)

Henkka

Hi Henkka,

Is this not because of same problem we had all yesterday (saterday)?
There was a problem with downloading GFS data. It started around the forecasts after about 2pm.
WXSIM crashed because of problems with wdata.txt file.
Forecasts after 7 pm worked again without any problems.

Oebel

If that’s the case, then maybe if you have ticked to not download GFS data unless newer, maybe that has to be unticked for at least one run?

• Jim

As many may use the wxsim on headless puters and may note this before after some time, a suggest for Tom, could we please have Wxsim so it stop and closes itself in such cases and maybe creates a error-report instead of those popups what stall the whole thing until someone clicks OK? :slight_smile:

Henkka

Hi Tom,

I agree, I see this Error 5 thing quite frequently (more than once a week) and it hangs the whole system by waiting for me to log-in and click OK. It would be much better for it to log the error, send an email alert if necessary and exit gracefully.

After clicking OK and re-starting it always works fine too so the confirmation dialog is serving no purpose.

Regards, Simon

Thanks for the suggestion. If I understand correctly, you’re saying you’d prefer it just close itself instead of sitting there with the error box showing - right? I’ll think about how I might do that.

Tom

If I understand correctly, you're saying you'd prefer it just close itself instead of sitting there with the error box showing - right?

Exactly :slight_smile:

Henkka

That would be awesome :D. Actually I would like that feature to all the errors messages because it’s quite annoying if the whole thing is stopped because of one error message, which you have to click away before WXSIM can run normally again. So I definitely support that.

I agree with that.

Add my vote to the above as well, Tom.
When we had the issue with GFS last week, I came home from work to find 4 or 5 instances of errors on the screen, along with a few WXSIM screens waiting for me to click the OK button so they could just close.
My WX PC has a lot running on it at the same time so if I can cut down on redundant instances then that can only help. :wink:

You guys can just make a closing schedule in system scheduler or set an hung time (say 5to 10 min) in windows scheduler.

If wxsim closes correctly it doesnt close anything, if its hung then it the closing procedure will kill the process.

Thats how I have got it to work, seems to work really well :smiley:

I have System Scheduler set to close WXSim & WXSimate if they are still open at a set time but I don’t have it set to hit the OK button first as that could hit the OK for anything, including a windows update and system restart. So I’m not keen on having that set automatically. :wink:

I was meaning for just killing the wxsim and or wxsimate process and not going through another route which you alluded to.