Yet Another Weather Forum?

Just found yet another forum dealing with justweather stations by the looks of it:- http://www.weatherstationforum.co.uk/index.php #-o

Hmmmm, interesting whois for that domain. Could it be that you are using this forum to promote your own competing forum, without acknowledging ownership?

Samthing i was thinkingā€¦ Same server and IP numbers from the 2 sites.

Well, it worked on me. :wink: I joined. As a new enthusiast, I read as much as I can find about the hardware, software, and science. Thatā€™s why I hang out here, even though I donā€™t use Weather Display. Thereā€™s a lot of good hardware and science discussion on this forum that isnā€™t relevant to a particular software package.

Maybe itā€™s a different Geoff P in Harwick. :slight_smile:

Steve

Righttttttttttttttttttttt LOL

until you dig all the way down and the address and name matches 100%ā€¦

-Bob

Well, theyā€™re sharing the same computer.

Maybe thatā€™s how he just found it :lol:

Honesty is the best policy. If the guy had said ā€œhello everyone Iā€™m starting a new forumā€ perhaps it would have been worth a look. With this devious approach forget it is what I say.

I read all the post on the forum took about 2 minutes!! :smiley: 8O

Spot on.

We all are getting a bit harsh arenā€™t we?

At least his post counts are bigger than 1. So give the guy a breakā€¦

H.

=D>

Do you check the whois for every domain posted on this forum? #-o

OK, end of discussion.

1. I hope you think itā€™s reasonable that the moderators of this forum try to avoid dodgy links in posts? So it would therefore be reasonable to investigate something that looked suspicious so the link could be removed to protect users of this forum?

2. A post pointing at a forum which at the time would have been empty apart from two initial messages from the admin would seem suspicious to me. Scammers/spammers want to entice you to visit other web sites to infect you with malware, shower you with spam, etc. Such web sites are often very rudimentary in their design/content. I know this because I see a lot of them whilst clearing scammers/spammers off this forum (as has niko).

3. On discovering a mostly empty web site, it would therefore seem reasonable to do a quick investigation to see if it was legitimate by doing a few more checks on it, e.g. who owns it. Thereā€™s nothing on the forum to suggest who the admin is, so a quick domain check might reveal something.

4. On checking the domain, it appears to be owned by the person who made the initial ā€œI just found a forumā€ post. Does it not seem odd that the probable creator of a web site who has probably posted the only two messages on that site reports it in the way they did in this forum? ā€œā€¦by the looks of itā€ is odd, surely the creator of a thing knows what itā€™s for?

NOTE:

Like anyone else, Geoff is perfectly free to create his own forum and I wish him luck in running it because I know how much work goes into running one. However, forum ettiquette has long been that you donā€™t use other forums to promote your own if the topics are closely related. If the original post here had been ā€œIā€™ve created a new forumā€¦ā€ then even though thatā€™s a closely related topic I wouldnā€™t have objected.

As you can see, Iā€™ve left the original link intact for people to discover whatā€™s behind it. However, Iā€™ve also left the discussion intact so that people can see the probable relationship between the person promoting the forum and the forum owner.