Forum Upgrade

I’m planning on upgrading the forum to v2 of the SMF software this evening. That will need some downtime, hopefully less than an hour if things go well. I’ve done a trial upgrade on a copy of the forum so I hope I’ve seen all the gotchas.

The new version looks mostly like the current version, but isn’t identical. However, I think that if you can drive the current version you won’t have any significant problems with the new version. Once the upgrade is complete, we’ll post a message or two pointing out some of the changes.

I’m planning on taking the board out for the upgrade in about 30 minutes from the time this message was posted.

The upgrade failed, so we’re rolled back to the old version whilst I investigate what went wrong :frowning:

I’ve found the problem…the upgrade didn’t like a particular PHP accelerator I was using. I’ll probably re-try the upgrade tomorrow morning (UK) time when the forum will probably be relatively quiet.

The forum upgrade was successful this time, so welcome to SMF v2.0.

Here are a couple of changes that might help some people…

1. The menus that looked like tabs are now just blue blocks, but you can tell what a menu is because it will turn yellow when you hover your cursor over it.

2. The Advanced Search option can be accessed either by clicking the magnifying glass next to the search field, or by a link on the Search page.

We’ll add more hints as we find useful things to do.

Today’s new feature hint is that you can now ignore certain boards if you want to. For example, if you’re a Windows WD user, you can choose to ignore the Linux and Mac WD boards. To ignore boards, click on the ‘Profile’ option in the top menu bar. If you then click on the ‘Modify Profile’ menu, you will see a menu option to ignore boards. Just select the boards you don’t want to see and they’ll be hidden from view.