Windows 7 , wireless and wired at same time

I am still tooting around with this CPU replacement. It is a Gateway Dx4860 and is a bit different than my HP.

My question is that it has both the wireless card antenna on board and active which gives a 72Mbps connection. I also have the ethernet cable going to the same DSL modem and it claims 1Gbps connection.

I am attaching two settings pictures.
I cannot map the connections because for some reason the wireless setting is on public. I hear it is a flaw in the windows 7 structure… for some reason the wireless is alway listed as public.

In any case, do I need both of them going at the same time, or should I disable the wireless. I have no way to know if the internet connection is going to the 1Gbps or the 72 mbps.

The question is, should I just leave it alone, disable the 72mbps. I know I disabled the ethernet connection and lost my internet connection …

Disable the wireless, you only need one and the hardwire will be the fastest and most reliable.

I had wondered if it was related to my network… oh I forgot to attach the pictures ( I had the thought of a cup of hot apple cider in mind at the same time… I’ll blame it on old age creeping in).

connect 1.JPG

switched it off and we’ll see how things go.

Unless someone is connected to you using wireless, you wont notice a difference. I always leave mine off.

Strange that the wired connection is showing as “Shared” :?

it is shared… I have the direct TV goes into the modem as well as the connection to the weather computer in the basement. In my infinite desire not to go down into the cold basement, I have the computer down there using the home network print to my laser printer. It prints those end of the month reports WD so nicely does.

I do check the system often to besure I don’t have anyone hackng in… I doubt they could with the security, but there are 4 people with DSL wireless, the ladies next door, and some neighborhood slugs with their dopey kids. The ladies are great… they trim my lilac hedge, clear off the sidewalk when it snows and have never complained of the weather station because the hedge hides it from their side. One is an engineering student at Iowa State and the other works for a chemical company in research - a flavorings concern.

Are you saying that the printer is connected directly to the PC (USB or parallel) and the other PC’s print to it via the network?

yes