Hurricane Frances

I’m back after being inactive on the forum for a few weeks! :lol: Been very busy with other things.

You weather watchers might enjoy looking at my weather data as Hurricane Frances approaches and passes over in the next day or so. We are in western Volusia County and the predicted track of the hurricane takes it to the south of us by about 80-100 miles depending on the model.

The forecast is for sustained 50 MPH winds tomorrow and for 8-12" of rain. The rain is probably more of an issue for us as the ground is very saturated from an extremely wet August (I recorded about 21" of rain for last month!)

The wx station is at: www.koipond.org

The webcam is at: camerawebpage.com/jwc

Cheers to all,

John

that is a very nice web cam image… how much did it cost :lol:

It is a Toshiba IK-WB11A. Absolutely the most bang for the buck at $600 list, about $550 street. I have been looking for a web cam for two or three years that was reasonably priced that was for outdoors – finally I found one!

The “zoom” feature is a bit useless as it is a digital zoom, not an optical zoom, but what the heck - a really good deal anyway. (I think the zoom is really done at the client browser, and not at the camera.)

John

i see you are still using vers 3.2 john
of linux wd
there is a new zip version out that has some fixes…still lots more work for me to do…just dont get much spare time…
it should also be more compatible with WDL…but i need to add in the extra file for rain/wind last 24 hours and all time records…

do you have linux software for the web cam?

Hi Brian,

I noticed you have released another couple of versions since mine – I’ll upgrade after the hurricane passes by - I just want to leave the weather station alone for the time being and not risk messing something up during the weather event.

The Toshiba webcam is actually a stand alone camera and web server - that is the beauty of it. I tried a camera into a capture card in the linux box, but there was practically no software to stream the video available that worked well. (Not to mention no pan/tilt/zoom)

Another really nice thing about the Toshiba is that it has either 10/100 ethernet or wireless. If you plug in an ethernet cable, then the wireless is disabled. If you power it up with no ethernet, then it activates wireless. Mine at koipond.org is wired.

Doing well so far with Frances 150 miles to the south.

John

Just got broadband up - phone line is still down. Lots of tree damage from Frances. We’re working out butts off trying to get things squared away.

Now we get to worry about Ivan :slight_smile:

i think Ivan will miss you guys… atleast hope :wink: