Windows 10... anyone here install it yet?

I have heard W10 is faster on older pc’s

Latest info from The Register - there is apparently something going round to trap the unwary - see this. Not entirely surprising, this plus WUDO (if I remember the acronym correctly) is a recipe for disaster for the folks who dont take great care!

Stuart

:wink:

w10.png

Can’t blame that on Microsoft…

Besides, doesn’t everyone make an independent backup before updating their OS :wink:

Makes you wonder why they went from W8 to W10.

Maybe because 7 8 9? :lol:

Yes those like us Niko but … Joe Public I doubt it. My real concern is that this WUDO thing is going to become a way in for the bad boys and you can bet 1000’s of W10 users will not have the slightest knowledge of WUDO.

Stuart

After getting a thumbs-down on from M$ on my Wx PC yesterday, today the icon suddenly appeared and said all was well. It took my reservation but it’s doubtful that will be used. Too many items not yet working with 10, and - IMHO - it’s way too early to be giving this a try.

Of course. Unfortunately I couldn’t find the tongue in cheek icon when I posted that.

My real concern is that this WUDO thing is going to become a way in for the bad boys and you can bet 1000's of W10 users will not have the slightest knowledge of WUDO.

I agree, WUDO and the wifi password sharing thing that I’m not sure even the experts fully understand are not very nice :frowning:

Repeated from the other thread, Stop Windows 10 using your internet connection to share updates to other people (turn off wudo).

Agreed! If it insists on downloading and installing updates how are we ever going to make it work for a 24x7 wx box, especially a low power / minimal resource one?

Bottom line? Ain’t gonna happen. Will just have to see how long they keep supporting 7.

Good time for start getting also the last wx-softwares what not have native Linux-versions to work stable in Linux while MS still supports Win7 so Windows can be dumped alltogether for the 24/7-running wx-puter…WXSIM, Nexstorm/Boltek…

I haven’t upgraded yet, but will, from Win7 64 PC.

This isn’t directed at any individual on here, I’m just playing ‘Devil’s Advocate’, but as usual, we have all the usual scare stories we have with every Windows OS upgrade about how it’s going to take over your PC and this wont work and that wont work, it won’t allow you to do this, it won’t allow you to do that. Amazing how many folk are already a Windows 10 all seeing eye ‘expert’. Folk crabbing it as soon as they get one issue on their PC and call it a pile of rubbish so their call is ‘don’t install it’.

For every perceived bad upgrade experience which will be reported on every forum there is, there will plenty who have a pleasant upgrade experience, that in general will not be reported, giving the illusion the ugrade is more problematical than it is in reality. I don’t expect my upgrade to go without any issues, but that would be the ANY OS upgrade, whomever it comes from.

regards
TrevP

Background: about six months ago I bought a laptop with Windows 8.1. I found it abhorrent and, after playing around with it, it was abandoned. A few days ago, I updated 8.1 and clicked the little taskbar icon. Yesterday afternoon, I was informed that it was ready for upgrade to Windows 10.

I followed the instructions and put in my admin password and from then on, I just gave it its head and let it get on with it. The installation went very smoothly, taking just over two hours. I then did the little default bits and pieces and everything rebooted and I was away!

I spend less than one hour exploring with very mixed feelings. The first thing I did was to click the start button. I was immediately disappointed. On the left-hand side, there was a travesty of the old Win 7 start menu but on the right-hand side, there was a whole pile of tiles looking like children’s wooden bricks. Many of these were invitations to download, at a cost, Microsoft goodies. I haven’t yet determined whether it is possible to replace this childish junk with something like the right-hand side of the old start menu. I hope so.

I had installed Pale Moon and Thunderbird in 8.1. Pale Moon transferred to 10 perfectly. For some reason neither Thunderbird nor Mail would logon to my server, possibly because it assumed that my user name was the same on Windows as in the server. To be investigated.

I had a look at the Edge browser and first impressions were positive and probably an improvement over the old Internet Explorer 11.

Overall, my very brief introduction was more positive than negative but I have a few hours apprenticeship and resetting before I can give it full marks.

What not has been mentonied much in this thread is the terms user need to accept to install Win10. They actually allows Microsoft to collect and use about everthing you do on the computer like passwords, emails, photos etc. including stuffs in your private folders. This no matter what the settings in the OS itself has been set to.

I’m sure it will be fine for millions of regular PC users, especially if they have become used to smart phones.

My girlfriend had her Win10 reservation, and did an in-place upgrade of her new Win8.1 laptop. No problems with the upgrade. Took about an hour or so and all her stuff works fine. she did install Firefox and Chrome because she didn’t care for the Edge browser. She really likes Win10, and even liked the tech previews.

Me? I removed all the GWX (Get Windows 10) updates from my Win7 64. Not interested, my computer is an offline non-cloud entity.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
You can download an ISO of win 10. I D/L the 32 and 64 bit version. Be prepared for a rather large file. But it goes in the download folder. So no hide and seek to find it. And it seems to be a standard ISO file.

If you have several computers. This is the way to go.

Mark

As others say I’m sure loads of folks will find it works. However the WUDO thing is an issue because it could eat up bandwidth for anyone with restricted traffic allowance from their ISP. Also as others mention the auto update for a system which runs 24x7 is not good. One thing I did find amusing is the multiple desktops, something which I’ve been using for years in Linux. I am also not a fan of all the tiles and stuff which makes life awkward if you dont have a touch screen (I dont and am unlikely to have one for quite some time). Anyway each to their own, just I wont bother. As for W10 on a phone, I’ll be sticking to Android for the foreseeable future.

Stuart

Wireshark doesn’t work with 10 so unless that changes (needs a new version of PCAP, but the PCAP project is dead) we’ll never know exactly what it’s doing.

The size is 5846336 so you will need a dual layer burner and disk. 5.8 GB is not all that big. I don’t know what the size would be if I didn’t include both 32 and 64 bit versions?

Mark