Wunderground; Hamweather; Anythingweather; CWOP

Newbie take on these weather sites:

1. Wunderground - Been using them for years as a weather source. Registered and immediately started uploading data. My site showed up next day just like they said it would.

2. Hamweather - Registered and started uploading data. Their site said basically “We’ll get around to adding you eventually”. Their data upload kept timing out last night… so I removed them from my data upload.

3. Anywhereweather - Seems like they’re too busy trying to sell me stuff to send me an email back after I registered. Silly me, I thought I was doing them a much more valuable favor by providing data then they were for me.

4. CWOP - While the idea is good, what I’m really wanting is exposure to people in my area so they can use my weather info as well. CWOP looks like it was designed in the days of Windows 3.0 and never updated. I tried using their weather tools to see some live data but was unable.

So, out of all the weather sites out there… only one seems worth a darn?

carterlake,
Been here a while and you hit the nail on the head. If your patient enough AnythingWeather will eventually get you going but WU is bay far the best of the group.

4) CWOP - While the idea is good, what I'm really wanting is exposure to people in my area so they can use my weather info as well. CWOP looks like it was designed in the days of Windows 3.0 and never updated. I tried using their weather tools to see some live data but was unable.
What were you using to view the CWOP data? I have never had an issue. This is what I use...http://www-frd.fsl.noaa.gov/mesonet/.... it allows you to see METERS, "weatherbug", RAWS, CWOP... i like it the best :P
4) CWOP - While the idea is good, what I'm really wanting is exposure to people in my area so they can use my weather info as well. CWOP looks like it was designed in the days of Windows 3.0 and never updated. I tried using their weather tools to see some live data but was unable.
What were you using to view the CWOP data? I have never had an issue. This is what I use...http://www-frd.fsl.noaa.gov/mesonet/.... it allows you to see METERS, "weatherbug", RAWS, CWOP... i like it the best :P

But who goes to some obscure government page to view weather?

I think CWOP, as I understand it anyway, is more for people to upload data for NOAA to use - not really for end user viewing. After I had my site up and running, and had been uploading to WU for a week or so, I was actually contacted by CWOP people in Boulder Co about uploading my data to them. I also believe that is why they will automatically email you your “data quality” results on a daily basis so you can adjust or tweak your sensors and readings.

yes, the cwop data, once verified, goes “straight into” the NOOA forecasting computers…and yes, they like data from areas where they dont already have a weather station :slight_smile:

Here’s a funny… after signing up for CWOP… I almost had to convince them of what state I live in!

(Carter Lake, Iowa is the only city in Iowa… NOT IN IOWA!)

Hi Tom,

I checked the plotted location of your CWOP station here was sure that you should be in NE, but they I saw the Microsoft map and saw the funny thing that the state line does and you really are in Iowa. So, I have registered your station and have attached your station information to the APRSWXNETStation.txt that controls things.

Russ
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory

By the way, thanks everyone for the info.
[/quote]