One Degree Error Between Davis Console/CWOP

Hello to everyone and thanks in advance for any help here!

I have a quick question/concern. I own a Davis Vantage Vue and joined CWOP at the end of March 2011. All of my weather data showed up on CWOP accurately for the first two weeks. However, for the past few days, my temperature is consistently off one degree - everything else is still 100% accurate as displayed on my console. With temperature, CWOP is rounding down down rather than rounding up. Yesterday, I was able to watch both my console and CWOP data very carefully and as CWOP updated, the one degree temperature problem was clearly evident. When my console read 66.6, 66.7, 66.8, 66.9 degrees it was showing up on CWOP as 66 degrees. Same thing all the way down to 50 degrees later at night as 50.6, 50.7, etc. was showing up as 50 degrees on CWOP. It didn’t make a difference after I switched my console from three digits (66.9 degrees) to two digits (67 degrees). Right now 52.7 degrees is showing up as 52 degrees. Any way to get CWOP to round up properly - I do not want my temperature to always be off one degree when the actual temperature is .5, .6, .7, .8, or .9.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help and have a great day!

TIM
4/16/11

What is sending your data to CWOP, PC software e.g weatherlink or weather-display or?, or a weatherlinkIP via the Davis site, or?

Thanks for your reply! I use Weatherlink IP - my Internet page is http://www.weatherlink.com/user/tmieyal. I am hoping it is just a brief techincal problem with CWOP because it was working correctly my first two weeks sending data over. Thanks again!

Tim

As the data is rounded to the nearest degree before it gets to CWOP then I can only assume that it’s something to do with the Weatherlink IP site, rather than your kit or CWOP.
As the Vue is only accurate to +/- 1

Thanks for the post, I appreciate it! I wish it would round up, rather than down, then I wouldn’t have a problem! I took out the batteries of my console, and the plug that connects it to the Internet, and set everything up again but am still having the same problem with the temperature rounding down. My CWOP station is DW7394 in Parma, Ohio. Thanks again!

TIM

Have you contacted Davis support? It’s a Davis station, interface, and it’s their server that is sending the data to CWOP so it seems to me they have some responsibility.

But then the temps from .1 to .5 would be too warm, so you would still have the problem, just slightly different.

I’d go with Niko’s suggestion and try to speak to Davis and see what they say.

Thanks to everyone for your comments, I appreciate it! I think I know what the problem is with my temperature reporting to CWOP. My Davis machine records temperatures to the tenth of a degree - right now it is showing 53.7 degrees. My data going to CWOP only reads the first two digits - so it is sending over 53 degrees, even though it is actually 54. Even when I switch to two digits on my console (54 degrees), it is still sending over 53 degrees. My main concern is that there will be days when my final CWOP data is off by one degree. For example, today’s high so far has been 53.7, the low 37.7. On my Weatherlink IP page it is correctly showing a high of 54 and low of 38. But my CWOP data is show a high of 53 and low of 37 - it is only reading the first two digits. If nothing can be done to fix this, I hope the potential one degree difference is not that big of a problem for CWOP. If something can be done to fix it, that would be even better! Perhaps the raw data feed could allow more than two digits for temperature, that would solve it. I am going to contact Davis to see what they say.

Thanks again to everybody!

Tim

If WLIP is sending 53 when temp is 53.7 then that’s clearly incorrect, but it surprises me that we haven’t seen other WLIP owners complaining about it :?

What version firmware are you running in the WLIP? On the Davis site I see this change
“Improved support for CWOP data packets with Vantage Vue” in v 1.07, there’s no detail but I think it’s worth to check. See http://davisnet.com/support/weather/software_frmwr.asp