Oh no!

Oregan Scientific have decided to purchase VWS to include with all weather stations sold around the world.

How can I compete with that.
What do others think?
Cheers
Brian

i don’t know how you would actually do this, but you could give switching OS users whom purchased a station with VWS a discount :idea:

It brings up the Q:
are you then paying more for the weather station becuase it comes with VWS…I mean companies do like to recover their costs
also, too, people are not going to need or want to look for any other weather station software…even though people tell me time and time again weather display is better than VWS and there is good support :wink:

Is it the free trial or the crippled base edition? Even if it’s the base edition they will still have to pay another $ 53 to get the internet version to be close to the WD capability.

Power of leverage I guess, Ambient sells their stations, they cut a deal for the software.

Time to market WD to Davis to include with the data logger?

Weather Display will continue to sell on it’s features & absolutely
unbeatable support/help. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
After all, haven’t a large % of WD purchasers to date already been using other products on the market previously? 8O :o
The world is a very large market & personal weather stations are only
in their infancy. 8) 8)

PC’s ship with bundled “free” software like Wordperfect and 99% of users opt to pay extra for MS Word because it’s better and/or has a wider user and support base.

In fact if this was such a big deal people would just use the basic software that comes with the Davis Logger - but many users choose your product instead.

Might be that the suggestion to approach Davis as a direct partner is the best one though - go for it!

When I bought my WMR928N I had no idea of what different PC programs were out there to get the data from the station and put on the web.

The online shop gives this info when buying…

Oregon Scientific no longer supply a serial cable and software with the WMR928 but we include a Free copy of APRSLite by WeatherDisplay as well as a serial lead for data logging, graphing and real time display on your PC

…with an option to “upgrade” to WeatherDisplay full program - which I did. I am glad that I use Weather Display as Brian’s programming and support are top notch.

Now if they had offered some other program like VWS then no doubt I would be using that now and if I was happy then I would have not looked at other programs unless I saw a glowing recommendation somewhere.

But that is just me.

Brian needs to do a hard sell !!

I figure two sides to this thing.
VWS - they can’t sell it, so they are giving it away?

Definitely someone needs to contact the companies that WD works with and so a sell with them, promoting the various other things it does as well.

I see that with Interwarn, on a different channel , the upgrade is going to cost people. Now taking that into account, WD is a very nice program with tons of upgrades and not a price increase (although Brian is entitled to it).

Just my 2 cents worth.

I have an OS WMR928 and intially used APRSlite, and then used VWS for a short time before ‘upgrading’ to the full version of WD and have used it ever since. I personally just couldn’t get on with VWS, just don’t like the front end, but I do actually really like WD and the amount of stuff you can set up. Yes, it may be overwhelming for a few, but surely it is better to have more than not enough.

The never ending support from you Brian, is 2nd to none. I recommend WD all the time…

TrevP

We all need to start including a link to weather display on our sites. The more pages that contain weather display the less chance to see VWS when doing a search on the web…

Have one on board. Will add others

Oregan Scientific have decided to purchase VWS to include with all weather stations sold around the world.....
When the time comes to replace my OS WMR-968 station I shall not be using Oregon Scientific equipment unless they unbundle it.
I see that with Interwarn, on a different channel , the upgrade is going to cost people.

Where did you read this?

I see that with Interwarn, on a different channel , the upgrade is going to cost people.

Where did you read this?

Try
http://www.interwarn.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=950
concerning StormLAB not InterWARN
Just an FYI, with all these additions (more than what Robert mentioned), there will be a small upgrade fee associated with the new program for those who purchased before Jan 1, 2004. Probably on the order of $10 for standard and $20 for pro or something, but basically to recoup my programming hours. I think this is MORE than a fair deal I actually will likely go ahead and change the version to 3.0 since this is definitely a major release.

I just wanted to add my experience with weather softwares.

I started with VWS. I liked it and it looked ok, but I had trouble getting it to operate properly. After I got annoyed with it, I tried APRSLite and I found it to be a little more advanced than I was looking for. THen I downloaded your software and since the setup was relatively easy(after I found the right menus), and I liked the layout and look/feel of it, I purchased WD.

I still think your program is superior in many ways-support mainly. I had an issue with VWS and never got an answer from Ed. Here I get answers within an hour or two usually.

Sam