PC data to Mac

What PC (Windows) files need to be copied over for the Mac version of WD to display just historical data (not live weather)? And where would these files go?

Question for you, why would you want only historical data and not live data from WD?

Answer to directories. Assumption is your mac is modern (intel, Snow Leopard,blah, blah :slight_smile: )

There is a directory created when you install WD Mac in the “Hard Disk”/Library/Application Support folder named wdisplay - Important noobie alert → A lot of folks get this folder confused with the Library folder in the user’s home directory instead of the HD’s Library folder so be warned, it will not work properly if you make this mistake… This is where ALL the files from the same folder on the PC go and they are in the exact same folder structure as on your Windows machine. After making sure that WD Mac is not running, You would open your wdisplay data folder on your PC and copy all those files into the wdisplay folder located above. THEN you would also make sure the case is correct on the "wdisplayftp.ini file AND the WDISPLAY.INI file. Then start WD and you should be good to go. If you do this you should also have WD Mac settings pretty well matching the settings from your PC. You should also be an administrator user as you copy the files and permissions should fall into place. In the old days it wasn’t this easy :slight_smile:

Hope this helps,
J

WD on Mac would simply be a read only to view historical data away from the PC.
What exactly do you mean by "make sure the case is correct on the “wdisplayftp.ini file AND the WDISPLAY.INI file.”?
So, if I do this with a fresh install of WD for Mac, what would I do a week or so later? The same thing or are there files that wouldn’t need to be copied over in this case?

The case is different on the names of one of those 2 files (I can’t remember) which so you can take a look and compare the all caps, all lower case on the Mac versions I listed above with your PC versions. Just change the names accorddingly.

There is a Mac CLient version on the downloads page if you have access to the PC’s live clientraw.txt file you can read across the network and it should be pretty easy to see live data without doing much but installing WD Mac and setting the location of your data files (assuming they are available when it is running)

If copying the files once a week, I would think you wouldn’t need to copy much of anything but the log and the data folders if you were just refreshing it once a week, after the full install once as mentioned above. Hope these options help.

Wow. Thanks for that reference to the Client viewer. Downloading it right now. Is there anything I need to know about setup? I am viewing some of the setup on the Client. Am I required to have an account with myweatherstation.com? I see there is an entry for username and password to set this up. This particular site just looks like some domain-for-sale site.

Maybe I haven’t mentioned that I never set up WD on any website. Does the Client Viewer require that I have this set up? I’m quite illiterate with all this. To create a website, am I required to install WDL? If so, is there a simple process described somewhere on this site to where I can set this up without a lot of work?

After doing some searching, it looks like I’ll need a web host to begin with, which I don’t yet have. Some previous posters have some helpful info which I’ll have to glean from. I’ll have to find myself a good web host I guess.

I am using both SyncToy on the Windows side and ChronoSync on the Mac side to sync the data files and log files over to my Mac. But in my main graph, the log file data isn’t showing. I converted log file to graph but still no data showing. I opened the log file and all the data is there. I thought converting log file to graph should do it?

Make sure you do the last 31 days button as well.

That I did (Recreate last 31 days…). Still missing data in my graphs. Not sure what else to do to retrieve that data in my log file.

Post a screen shot that shows the problem…

I don’t think you need an external webhost to use the client across your network, WD can serve the data itself, the server settings are on control panel, FTP, TCP/IP.

I think we’re on a different page. I have copied over the log and data files from my Windows PC to my Mac. I’m not using any sort of network on my Mac for WD. Just a hard copy of the log and data files.

You may need to import the data files before WD will create the graphs…

How do you import them? All I see is the option to import log files from other software. I did copy them over to their respective folders. So there’s another way to “import”?

After going over my log file for Oct. I now see that there is some data missing. That could be my problem. I thought it was all there. I’ll post back.

I was referring to your interest in the client viewer.

Gotcha.

I was thinking that because WD Mac did not receive the data then the graph files were not created…but doing the convert “should” take care of that for you if the data is all there. Are you seeing any data on the graphs? What about since you hooked up the wx station to the Mac, are you seeing graph data for that time period?

The only thing I’m using WD on my Mac is Read Only to view historical data.