Usernames

As some of you will know, I’m considering my future strategy for the web site and forum software, particularly to try to get the main web site and forum more integrated, e.g. single logon and ability to use forum info on the main site.

There aren’t a lot of options that meet my requirements. One option is to change the forum software to SimpleMachines www.simplemachines.org and then integrate that with Mambo Open Source www.mamboserver.com aka MOS.

Having tried a test migration, I’ve found the alpha test integration component works fairly well, but it has highlighted a problem. MOS only allows alphanumeric usernames, i.e. no spaces, dots, dashes or other odd characters are allowed.

Approx 10 % of the forum usernames would be affected, i.e. approx 70+ users (although some of the affected users may no longer be actively using the forum). I’d like to find out how people affected by the problem would react to a change of username. Please vote in the poll.

The Poll options are:

1 - I don’t think my username would be affected - if you’ve just got letters and/or numbers in your username this probably applies.

2- I’d be happy for the incompatible characters to be removed automatically - would require some manual effort for me, but I can do it fairly quickly before the migration with no further user input. There is likely to be some confused users who wouldn’t be sure what their new username was.

3- I’d prefer to register again and choose a compatible username - the easiest option for me, but it does mean I have to wait for the affected users to do this before I can migrate.

4- I’d prefer to choose a new compatible username for my existing account - requires manual effort for me and I have to wait for affected users to tell me their chosen usernames.

I would prefer to use just one option.

Feel free to comment/ask questions…

A better search capability would be nice…

A better search capability would be nice...

If you mean a search facility for users, then that might be possible on this forum using a phpBB mod, but I’m trying to avoid those to make upgrades easier. SimpleMachines has a fairly extensive user search facility built in.

No, no, sorry, I was veering off topic (so what else is new?) and referring to topic search in general, like for a phrase, or combination of author and word/phrase, or word exclude etc.

No, no, sorry, I was veering off topic (so what else is new?) and referring to topic search in general, like for a phrase, or combination of author and word/phrase, or word exclude etc.

I’m more confused now :-s

The search facility allows combinations of author and words. You can also use AND OR and NOT in the search string to define more specific searches.

Well, then I’m stupid, 'cause I’ve tried to make that work in the past but couldn’t :oops: :oops: :oops: Sorry to have bothered you…

Don’t worry about bothering me. I have to put up with some really annoying users during the day, so anything on here is light relief by comparison :wink:

Try these searches…

1. In the Keyword field enter: stupid NOT bothered
    In the Search for Author field enter: niko*
    Leave everything else as default

When you search you shouldn’t find this thread

1. In the Keyword field enter: Sorry to have bothered you
    Select the “Search for all terms option”
    Leave everything else as default

When you search you should find this thread. This is cheating a little because it’s not find the phrase, just messages that contain all the words in the phrase which in many cases will give you a fairly short list of possibilities.

Don't worry about bothering me. I have to put up with some really annoying users during the day, so anything on here is light relief by comparison :wink:
Talking of annoying users, someone in my office called the help desk, who sent a tech out because "my PC doesn't work". It didn't take the tech long to discover that the PC had a USB A connector inserted into the RJ45. I was sceptical until I tried it but you'll find it's an almost perfect fit. Of course, how it could have jumped in there by itself is still a mystery :wink:

I tried the search, it is working as advertised, I must have just screwed up my search before.

Talking of annoying users, someone in my office called the help desk, who sent a tech out because "my PC doesn't work". It didn't take the tech long to discover that the PC had a USB A connector inserted into the RJ45. I was sceptical until I tried it but you'll find it's an almost perfect fit.
LOL - I had a user recently plug the modem lead from a laptop into the network point on the wall. That didn't work too well either!

Julian

This poll is no longer relevant. I’ve found a way round the problem with a few tweaks to the source code :smiley:

This brings the possibility of a move to SimpleMachines Forum software a step closer.