will be starting the new compiler version soon....

now that the kids are back at school…
got to keep up with the jones you know…as I see alot of WD and ex WD users helping out with the development of the cumulus sofware…taking all the ideas from here to there…

That really gets my Goat how people do that.
You Buy the software for the features you dont look at the WD features and swon off to another Software developer just so you can get the feature free!

Tis said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

No big deal really.

Features are features I guess, and you use examples to get the idea across if WD is used as an example can only mean that it is the leader of the pack. Like lasatalayas said, it is the sincerest form of flattery.

I do not think it is imitation, as the other products do not try to claim being WD really.

Bit of healthy competition cannot hurt, you will find that most people will come back to WD for … exactly that the features.

Can’t wait what kind of rabbit windy pull out of his hat with the new compiler.

H.

I did start using VWS and then i did tried Cumulus and now I’m using WD.

And so far I could say that WD is the the best, and the support is just outstanding.

I agree with G.O.B.B., that just mean you (WD) are the leader.
I have tryed, like Axelwold, VWS, Cumulus and WD. WD is just the best of features, hands down. Cumulus is far from WD on that point. :slight_smile:

Henkka

it has worked the other way around too, i.e VWS users wanting to see a particular feature added to WD
thats just the way competition works…
I just got to try my hardest to keep up with the game

the new compiler version will use the new advanced graphs and the new 3D gauges, and have a tabbed screen, i.e with different displays that you can easily tab too, and each screen will be able to be resized with everything resizing auto (the reason I cant do that now is that some of the components I have used do not have main screen docking)
I also will have SQL database
it will also combine the existing data files into a new main data file
it will use the things that work and look the best from the existing version, and keep files that are needed by add ons still updating, etc
I also want to have a cron program that gets the weather data, separate from the display program…something like that…

Will you use SQLite? That seems to be popular and have 3rd party tools available for those who like to tinker.

Glad to hear it will be modular, maybe the front end can also be the lightweight windows console version?

…and it’s compatible with Mac?

SQLite is not as good for data throughput.
If i were in Brians situation id make a service that combines SQL querying and data collection.
That way it be automatically collected when the computer starts.

Compared to what?

So the SQL data file will replace the logfiles and the datafiles so just one editable database to work with. That sounds great!

mySQL.
If it were like a simple program that stored data that would be fine using SQLite but since WD would constantly storing data MySQL base service is the way to go.

I agree with Tornado Tim, MySQL base service is the way to go from my humble opinion.

Sounds all very promising, can’t wait :-).
H.

…assuming you will also use the main database as the reporting database, which is not a given :wink:

Would that require all WD users to have a web server to be able to set up a MySQL database?

Brian, the initial planning is sounding brilliant, I can’t wait. Do you have an expected time that you will need to be able to finish it? e.g. 1 year, 2 years, 6 months, etc.

Although I too would like MySQL Brian does need to consider less than expert PC users, while MySQL has come a long way and has ways of installing like XAMPP it is not light weight. I’m sure that there are quite a large number of users who want something more akin to a turn key approach where they install WD and it gathers data, records data and displays info without having to install loads of other stuff as well. Something like MySQL needs at least two or perhaps three admin type additional programs to make things easier when managing and backing up data.

To answer Shultzweather you do not have to have a web server for MySQL, it can be installed on its own locally. Also be aware that while many hosting companies provide such databases it is often not possible to store data on them from your own PC (for security reasons)

This needs very careful thought before leaping in any particular direction for data storage and retrieval. Something I’m sure Brian is more than aware of…

Stuart

Thanks for that Stuart, I remember now that you can run it locally. I think that I database is the way to go, but as you say, it is a fairly steep learning curve even for an experienced computer user. Maybe there could be some other way to store all the data yet still in a user firendly way. The one thing I would really like about a MySQL database however is how easy it would be to create your own (and custom) tables for websites. Ken has done a great job with the clientraw files and AJAX to create the dashboard, and WDL is a great way to graphically represent the live data. However, it will still be nice to be able to easily implement little bits of data - temp, humidity - and records - monthly rainfall, etc. I use Ken’s scripts to implement these little bits of data throughout my site, but, because it isn’t specifically meant for the way I use it, sometimes it can be a little fiddly.

What I was meaning if he makes a “service” for WD which contains the “base” mySQL module (low in memory consumption) and the data collection model.
No technical expertise is required :slight_smile:

Good to hear Brian! :slight_smile: