Meteotemplate - new free website template

I’ve been using Weather-Display and mySQL for a long time now… over a decade! To use this template, can I use the existing mySQL database that WD has been using, or do I need to create a new one altogether?

Thanks!

Probably goes back to the days of mercury max/min thermometers.

You most likely will need to create a new one - in other words the table has to have the exact format that it is built for. However, it might be possible to actually adjust your current table to this format - I dont know what your current table looks like. I guess you would probably definitely need to adjust column names, but Im not sure about the rest of the table.

It would help if you could post the table structure here. Either way, even if it was not possible then there still is the option of using the importing script. There is a special script for WD logs import which you could use to create your db.

At www.meteotemplate.com you will now find a new section Extras. This section will contain some extra features, which you can download to tweak your template.

First extra is a set of weather station icons, which you can save and replace the default weather station icon in your weather station section of the template. Simply choose the one which best matches your station and replace the station.png in the icon section.

Why not do this automatically based on a setting in config

Do what? You mean that the template would automatically choose the right icon?

Well several reasons for this:

1. that would mean all the icons would have to be included in the download file (unnecessary)

But more importantly:
As I said in the description “choose the one that most closely resembles your station”
For example, I have a WH1080, basically there is about 10 other stations from the WH and WS range, where the sensors etc. look the same and so the icon is the same. But you still want to have the right label, so that means that somewhere in the template would have to be a list of all possible stations and the corresponding icon. It is impossible for me to try to include all and so it would still cause problems because some might not be included and it would than show just a blank image etc. And also, it would then have to take care even for things such as spaces - someone might for example write “Davis Pro2”, another person “Davis Vantage Pro2”, “WH1080 vs WH-1080” etc etc. It would basically mean so much extra work for me and it wouldnt work well in all cases anyway, so I think just choosing the image “manually” is much faster for both me and the person building their website.

Probably goes back to the days of mercury max/min thermometers.

Thats true. I asked once was it Norwegian YR about this and the way averages are calculated goes back to the old days, so new and old values are comparable. Some metoffices use something like (8 values per day + max + min / 10).

Hi guys, just a little update about what is currently in progress.

There have been no new plugins recently and also no updates to the page - this is however because there is a major update coming, which will introduce some new features as well as improve the current ones and this includes design tweaks, speed optimization, wider compatibility and support for more programs, new languages etc. I really think you have something to look for. Upgrade will still be relatively simple, although more files will need to be replaced (should take about 5 mintues in total) and there will be detailed instructions and changelog.
New version is currently being tested thoroughly and hopefully will be available within a few days. I will then continue with work on new plugins, I also plan to make polls to see which plugins are most wanted. You can subscribe to the meteotepmlate blog to get regular updates by email so that you dont miss anything.

One last thing :slight_smile: It was suggested to me by one of the users if I could call the versions with a name too. So I thought why not… I decided that I will use fruits to differentiate between different versions. The current version I called simply Meteotemplate 1.2 Strawberry (the particular fruits are chosen totally randomly). The logo is now also part of the demo at meteotemplate.com.

Hi guys,

a major update of the Meteotemplate has just been released.

Meteotemplate 2.0 Watermelon is now available for download, including update info on the blog. The demo at meteotemplate.com has now also been upgraded to version 2.0.

Main new features:

• much higher potential for future development (new plugins are also ready and will be released soon :slight_smile:
  • easier navigation
  • W3C validity and use of HTML 5.0 (over 100k errors fixed :slight_smile:
  • new languages (french, german, slovak)
  • better compatibility (now works also on Apple devices)
  • new update scripts allowing more users to use the template (WView, WU, Meteohub)
  • new features - email notifications etc.
  • bug fixes

Detailed info about what is new, why and especially how to upgrade/install is available at the link below

INFO: http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=181

Jachy,

You still miss ALL the credits and infos to the external datas. No info about where forecast and other external datas comes from, are it used with permission etc. Its important also because thats the only way the visitor can get an idea to trust the data or not. Not to forget that the external data providers (in most cases) requrie proper crediting before the data are allowed to be used.

A few issues in narrow views yet too, but else it looks good :smiley:

Yes, that will be included as the pages are gradually updated to the new version 2.0 (including the plugins, which mostly already have this info). Also, I will be changing the data source anyway very soon, so it will then include new source. I am not happy with the accuracy of the current one. The radars, models and forecast all already have this.

As promised, version 2 now offers much better grounds for further development so here is another plugin, related directly to your station data again.

Features:

comparison of data using a polar chart
data break down by years and months
overall normals
summary table
table with deviations from normal

Install instructions:

Unzip, paste to plugins folder, add link to menu :slight_smile: Cannot be simpler :wink:

Demo: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/plugins/yearNormals/normals.php
Download: http://www.meteotemplate.com/web/plugins.php
Info/comments: http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=200

Note: the plugin should still be fully compatible with versions 1.x though I do recommend upgrading to v2.0 Watermelon

A set of two new plugins is now available:

US radar images
Canada radar images

Install:
Unzip → Upload → Add to menu

• only in case of the Canadian radar, you can optionally set the default location for default regional image by opening the radar.php and specifying the three-letter code of your desired location right at the top.

Demo (US): http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/plugins/usRadar/radar.php
Demo (Canada): http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/plugins/canadaRadar/radar.php
Info/comments: http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=205

Note: the plugin should still be fully compatible with versions 1.x though I do recommend upgrading to v2.0 Watermelon

looking very good, great work Jachym :slight_smile:

Thanks Brian, I had the US one ready for quite some time, but I did not want to disappoint our Canadian friends so I postponed the release until I managed to get the Canadian one working as well :slight_smile:

A new plugin for analyzing data from your station is now available.

This plugin shows you the frequency distribution of various parameters using dynamic graphs and tables.

You have many options for choosing

• the parameter
  • graph type (line, area, bar, column)
  • resolution (bin size)
  • value returned (either percentage or total count)
  • data transformation (none, log)
  • interval (all, particular season, particular month)

Install instructions:

This time it is again very difficult :slight_smile: You have to unzip the file, upload it to your plugin directory and then add a link in the menu.

Things to note:

• log transformation only works for total counts, if percentage is selected, no transformation will be applied (as it would be nonsense to apply log to percentage values)
  • log transformation is useful if there is a large difference between the max and min, so it is hard to see differences between similar values
  • seasons are based on your station coordinates specified in config (i.e. latitude is used to determine which hemisphere you are at and what months correspond to which season)
  • unfortunately, due to the complexity of the calculations, this plugin does not adjust to the user specified units and will always show values in the units in which data is in the database
  • percentages are useful when comparing for example the overall average with individual years, where total count does not tell you much because it is probably much larger value than the year value. Percentages simply show you the proportion of total.

Demo: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/plugins/distributions/distributions.php
Info/comments: http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=208

great work again!
I am so impressed I put in the WD features that it supports meteotemplate.com :slight_smile:
I sure hope that people that use the templates give a little donation to you for all your time and effort :slight_smile:

Hi Brian,

well I must say that reading this, particularly from you, makes me quite content and happy because Im still an absolute beginner in terms of programming, developing… learning new stuff every day, learning what it is like to develop stuff, provide support etc. :smiley: And I also found that it really is not so important how you do it, but what is the result - what I mean is - everyone who I tell that everything from A to Z is done in Notepad++ exclusively (all HTML, CSS, PHP etc.), they think it is impossible, yet I find it quite good. I tried NetBeans, but that is too system demanding and same for PHP Storm, for which I actually have a license from a friend, but 1GB RAM isnt enough for any of these, Notepad++ takes 30MB and it has even FTP built in, so everything I need :wink:

With regards to donations… well this is something I already wrote a lot about - I dont do this for money, my goal was right from the beginning to just “break even” - i.e. cover the costs for hosting and the domain. It is true that I havent received a single dollar for the last 2 months, but… I did get something from some of my great testers and Im almost at the break even point for the annual hosting and domain now and so Im sure that before I have to pay another annual fee in April, I will manage to collect the rest :slight_smile: And by no means does it demotivate me if I dont get anything - sometimes I get emails from people who really like it, or from people who need help and when I fix it, they are really glad (just recently I made a special script for one guy, whose 10yr old daugther really liked it and was disappointed because the SW they used was very unique and I did not have a script for it, so I wrote one and he said she was extremely happy, which I can imagine, I remember myself how it felt when suddenly all my station data were being fetched in and graphs drawn etc. :slight_smile:

Once again thanks a lot and I also think your SW is great, in fact it is in my opinion the best there is - which is why it has been the “recommended weather station software by Meteotemplate” right from the release, stating this in the Links section :slight_smile: I have lots of ideas, so its just a matter of finding time and learning new stuff in PHP etc. :slight_smile:

Best regards from Czech to New Zealand :slight_smile:

This is just a quick announcement that the NWS warnings plugin has been updated due to changes on the NWS server.

Version 1.1 of the script can be downloaded from the plugins download section at meteotemplate.com.

Install instructions:
Simply unzip the file, in nws.php set your default location and upload to server.

Don

Hi,
based on the emails I get, there are several things I would just like to make a bit more clear to prevent confusion or to help you customize the template.

1. Lang function
When customizing anything in the script, do not use the lang() function. I appologize, it did not occur to me, I should have explained this earlier.
Let me explain how this function works, what it does and why it causes problems to many of you (judging on the number of emails I get).

Basically, in almost all pages of the template, you will often see the lang function and the actual command will look something like this:

<?php echo lang("temperature", "c")?>

The lang function is a function, which instead of hard-coding some text, looks up the particular expression passed to it as the first parameter in the language files for the particular languages. In the above case, the lang function would look for the word “temperature” in the language strings inside the language files. The other parameter (“c”) just tells it to capitalize this word (the other possibilities are “l” for lowercase, “u” for uppercase and “w” for capitalizing all words in a phrase). The point of this function is to make sure that the template shows in the language specified by either you (default) or the one chosen by the user.
The above code will therefore sometimes result in “temperature”, sometimes in “Temperatur”, sometimes in “Teplota” etc. etc.
However! Obviously you cannot use this function for your custom words and pages - only in case it uses words that are already used by the template - i.e. for example temperature, humidity etc. But, lets say you want to add a page in the menu, or anywhere else and call it “extreme weather”. Then, if you write:

<?php echo lang("extreme weather","c")?>

you are telling the script - look up extreme weather in the whatever language file that is set and display it. But the problem obviously is that this phrase does not exist in these files, so the result is, it just doesnt produce anything and you get a blank button/heading etc. Theoretically, you could add this new string in the language file, but remember, that you would then have to add it in the other languages as well, which I guess would be problematic, so even if you add this to the gb.php (the English language file), it will show up correctly, but as soon as someone accesses your page and chooses a different language, they would again see nothing.
So the solution is simple - do not use this code and instead of the above examples, do not use PHP at all and just write “Extreme weather”. The only disadvantage will be that this will show regardless of the user language setting - in English. However, there is really no other way, unless you want to translate it to each language currently available in the template.

I hope it makes sense and I once again appologize for not specifying this earlier.

2. Plugin compatibility
I noticed that there is one little problem with compatibility. The newly published plugins were already designed for version 2.0. I said they are still compatible with version 1.2. That still holds, I have only discovered one issue and so, if you are still running 1.2, I would recommend upgrading, but even if you do not want to, the actual problem is that one of the plugins uses a styling that is only specified in the style sheet of version 2.0. In order for this to work properly in 2.0, just add the following lines into the main.css file in the “css” directory:

.tableDiv{
		display: table;
	}
	.rowDiv{
		display: table-row;
	}
	.cellDiv{
		display: table-cell;
		vertical-align: middle;
	}

3. Version codenames
I was asked if there will be a version codenamed “Apple”. So just to prevent any sort of confusion with regards to compatibility or people thinking this is a special version for particular devices, for obvious reasons I decided there will not be any version called “Apple”. Currently there are no major updates planned, there might be some minor updates (2.1, 2.2,…) but those will be very simple to implement and so dont worry you will have to change everything again. I havent decided about the next name :smiley: Maybe… I dont know Blackberry? :grin: :grin: :grin:

4. Licensing
I have also been asked what are the licensing details of this template. I will include this information in the next update, but for now, I will just try to make it simple, so the basic rules are: The whole template, including plugins, support etc. is offered for free as a freeware (with an optional donation). The template MAY be modified in any way to suit your likings/needs, please do not delete the little link in the footer backlinking to meteotemplate.com. This is purely because I would be happy if more people used it (I dont have any ads on my site, so this is really just to help people, I personally dont have anything from higher traffic). As mentioned above, you can contact me anytime and I will try to help you with either setting it up or even custom pages, create custom icons etc. However, I would rather you do not redistribute the template yourself. If you wish to recommend this to someone or someone asks you about it, please refer them to meteotemplate.com. And there is one last important thing though. The template may not be used for any sort of commercial purposes, unless you discuss the details about this with me.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy it.

Btw. there is a new plugin coming very soon, which Im sure you will love, I personally must say it surpassed my expectations and Im extremely happy with the result. There might also be a little surprise for you very soon, but I will keep that as a surprise :slight_smile: