Weather Display Live for the iPhone and Android

Start a new thread for this Apple thing, please.
It’s going to be confusing.
This thread is about Sietse’s iWDL for iPhone and Android.

Thank you.

Hi,

I’m using your script (www.meteotortosa.cat/iwdl), and I’ve two questions:

• I use UTC time for my data, how can I add “UTC” behind the hour?
  • Rain Rate is show in mm/min, and I like to mm/hr. How can I fix it?

Thanks,

Llu

Hi I have been using “Weather Dsplay Live for iPhone and Android” for some time now. http://home2.btconnect.com/brettoliver/iwdl/#home
I have my Weather cam and a weather radar page set but have some problems as the image size on my cam and radar page is too large to display using this “app”.

My Samsung S3 can display both images full screen but using the app I have to scroll around to see them as they are displayed in a small frame. If you look at the Web cam and Radar on my site pages you will prob see the same on your browser.

http://home2.btconnect.com/brettoliver/iwdl/#home

I have tried it on a iPod Touch and both images fill the screen but you are unable to scroll around to see the full image.

Is there a way to get the image to use the whole screen or use a larger frame?

I have it set up. It works on my desktop computer on Firefox. But when I try to use Safari on my IPhone the screen is black. Any ideas.

Here is a link to my page.

http://www.chucksweather.com/iwdl/index.html#home

Chuck

I think you have to edit iwdl.css

I did it some time ago, but I don’t remember now what I edit

This is my iwdl web: http://www.meteotortosa.cat/iwdl/#home

Got mine working. Deleted iwdl folder and uploaded files and it working now.

Chuck

I have set up WDL for iPhone and I can see the website on my browsers but not my iOS devices. All I get is a black screen.

I deleted the iwdl directory on my website and installed new, but still all I get is a black screen on the iOS devices. Anybody any idea ?

I also get the black screens at sietse.net/iwdl so I guess its not a iOS issue.

any help appreciated.

Solved / The iPhone and iPad were set to “Private Browsing”. All back to working order since I changed that.

cheers

Ernie

hey, all ya gurus out there :wink:

my iwdl works fine with the clientraw data

soartherockies.com/iwdl

but when I look at the webcam picture then it always shows the same picture unless I clear the Safari iOS cash.

The webcam.jpg file gets uploaded fine, I checked the timestamps. And if I access the webcam file directly

soartherockies.com/remote/live_weather2013/webcam.jpg

then I get the updated webcam picture.

Is this something (the caching of the webcam picture) which I can avoid (if so, where), or is this to be done in the iwdl code ?

I do have a similar issue with the GIF files uploaded from WD (build 69). I can only get the actual file by clearing the cache in the browser (Safari, Chrome,…).

I am sure I am not the only one having this issue and I am sure there is a remedy

cheers

Ernie

My iWDL is working fine, both with the clientraw.txt and the webcam image. On two separate WD setups

http://gudmundsbyn.se/iwdl/

http://vildafisken.com/iwdl/

One of the things I notice is that many times I load up on my iPhone and the information shown is days old like its reading from the cache. I do a refresh yet still get the old forecast.

Is there is way to force it to refresh?

http://weather.satelliteguys.us/iwdl/

Whenever I use iWDL I get a bunch of error messages in the Apache log of missing .png files like so:

[Sat Aug 10 18:17:40 2013] [error] [client  ] File does not exist: /public_html/storumanvader.se/apple-touch-icon.png
[Sat Aug 10 18:17:40 2013] [error] [client  ] File does not exist: /public_html/storumanvader.se/apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png
[Sat Aug 10 18:17:40 2013] [error] [client  ] File does not exist: /public_html/storumanvader.se/apple-touch-icon-114x114.png
[Sat Aug 10 18:17:40 2013] [error] [client  ] File does not exist: /public_html/storumanvader.se/apple-touch-icon-114x114-precomposed.png
[Sat Aug 10 18:17:40 2013] [error] [client  ] File does not exist: /public_html/storumanvader.se/apple-touch-icon.png
[Sat Aug 10 18:17:39 2013] [error] [client  ] File does not exist: /public_html/storumanvader.se/apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png
[Sat Aug 10 18:17:39 2013] [error] [client  ] File does not exist: /public_html/storumanvader.se/apple-touch-icon-114x114.png
[Sat Aug 10 18:17:39 2013] [error] [client  ] File does not exist: /public_html/storumanvader.se/apple-touch-icon-114x114-precomposed.png

The images seem to be called from all.min.js. After googling the names I found that they seem to be for when you’ve added it to the home screen, and are supposed to be local to the phone.
Yet it still looks like the script tries to find them on the server and fails?

Not a huge problem but I’ve been a bit bothered by the errors and now decided to find out where they come from. :slight_smile:

/Chris

Two issues:

• webcam image and radar image are too little and has border bar. Not good. I removed px dimension in iwdl.js but nothing happened. Where to change?
    All the world likes this image format ? (attach 1)
  • second issue: could be useful to stop the back button on top of the page. When scrolling a page must be back on top to go back and that not useful

regards to all

Bringing this thread back from the dead!

So anyone see their iwdl site using chrome on the iPhone/iPad?
Works fine on safari, but chrome just displays the background colour and that’s it.

J

ok, so found out the reason why nothing loading on IOS chrome is due to the deprecation of windows.opendatabase which is used to control the display measurement units

so… if you want to share your page and have it display, say on facebooks built in browser when trying to share a link and also on google then you’ll need to get around this.
you need to open the iwdl.js and scroll right to the bottom.

around line 1945 you’ll see

if (window.openDatabase) {
            // Open database

jQT.dbOpen("iwdl", "1.0", "Settings", 5000);
            jQT.dbCreateTables({ "createTables" : [ { "table": "settings", "property": [ {"name": "setting", "type": "text"},
                                                                                         {"name": "value", "type": "text" } ] } ] } );
           jQT.dbSelectAll("settings", function(result) {
                for (var i = 0; i < result.rows.length; i++) {
                    var row = result.rows.item(i);
                    settings[row['setting']] = row['value'];
                }
                finishStartup();
            });
        } else {
            finishStartup();
        }

change it to

try{
      if (window.openDatabase) {
            // Open database

jQT.dbOpen("iwdl", "1.0", "Settings", 5000);
            jQT.dbCreateTables({ "createTables" : [ { "table": "settings", "property": [ {"name": "setting", "type": "text"},
                                                                                         {"name": "value", "type": "text" } ] } ] } );
           jQT.dbSelectAll("settings", function(result) {
                for (var i = 0; i < result.rows.length; i++) {
                    var row = result.rows.item(i);
                    settings[row['setting']] = row['value'];
                }
                finishStartup();
            });
        } else {
            finishStartup();
        }

} catch(err) {
 finishStartup();
       }

this will then catch the error if one occurs and continues to display the data using the default measurement units.

Hope this heps others

Hi,

Still using iWDL.
As of lately the forecast isn’t loading anymore.
I have checked if this was the case also with other users using iWDL and none of them are loading too.

Anyone knows what the problem is here.

TIA

The problem is the Yahoo service rendering the table from yr’s xml in iWDL has retired. Have not tried to the new one but it might work again if you register en change the link in iwdl.js

Important EOL Notice: As of Thursday, Jan. 3, 2019, the YQL service at query.yahooapis.com will be retired. This will impact users of datatables.org as well as developers who creates features using this YQL service. To continue using our free Yahoo Weather APIs, use https://weather-ydn-yql.media.yahoo.com/forecastrss. Follow instructions here to get credentials and onboard to this free Yahoo Weather API service.

I love IWDL and would really like to have the forecast working.
But i dont have the skills to solve this by myself.

Hello I registered with yahoo, unfortunately I do not know how to continue.
My english is not that good.
what do I have to do?

Thank you

FYI

Got an email from Sietse, the developer, last week saying he is going to fix this.
At the moment, he is busy and can’t find the time to do this yet.
So we all have to be patient.

Thanks for the information