Still can't get a good download of 2.4b

Chris - I cannot download the 2.4b file from your server and get it to sucessfully gunzip. I have tried several times and from two different boxes - always the same result - “unexpected end of file.” The file size downloaded is 8366 KB.

The version on the WD web site is 2.2b :frowning:

Maybe Bob got the 2.4b download to unpack?

–John who is still trying to make my WD current

Exactly what I am seeing. The file looks like it is corrupt!!!

Anybody know where to download 2.4???

Bob

are you able to just use the latest 3.1 zip
http://www.weather-display.com/downloads/WeatherDlinux.zip

with your existing 2.2 version?
just remember to set it as an executable after unzipping it
i dont think you need to have 2.4
(and I have just checked the WD ftp server, and yes, I must have lost the upload of 2.4, the file size is way less than it should be)
(I am uploading it again now, its going to take 250 minutes according to WS_ftp, LOL)

my bad :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

i forget to change the permission when I upload 2.4, the other two were fine…

that explains why I could download and install it fine, of course I had permission :lol:

concerning the need for 2.4, with out it you can’t get to above 2.2 (haven’t tried the new one yet)

still, on the wd server, the file was corrupted for some reason or other…
(which i am rectifying now…200 minutes to go…on my 28k connection, lol)

tried the new .zip version, looking good so far :smiley: nice job brian

still a few more things to do on your dirty laundry list, but getting there!!!
(as time permits)
:lol: 8) 8O

Still unable to upload with 3.1/2.2b. Waiting for 2.4… John C can you upload (WD ftpupd) on Fedora? If you can, are you connected via dial up or direct connect wide band?

Bob - No I haven’t tried any uploads as yet. I haven’t tried any more downloads either since my last post this morning. i just upgraded my laptop hard drive and now I’m going around and around with Sony tech support about trying to get my bios sucessfully flashed so it will be XP friendly - it’s an ugly story and I don’t think I’ll ever buy a Sony PC product again!

–John

wow that is bad when sony can handle the most popular os in the world 8O

actualy, there is no separate ftpupd
its built into wd…
maybe try backing up and deleting the wdisplay.ini file, when wd is not running, and reset things up again?

Brian - I did just download WeatherD from your web site and I suppose it is working with 2.2b. I looked at the date of most of the files and none of then seemed particulary new except for the ini file and a text file or two.

How does one know if the update was sucessfully applied?

In my home directory I unzipped the file and I guess it stuch the files where they needed to go. The unzip did ask me if I wanted to overwrite, so I suppose the changes were made.

It seems like 2.2b is still on the web site.

Bob - I’m on broadband here in central Florida :slight_smile: about 2.5 Mbit down and 384 Kbit up.

–John

Chris - Sony was very adament about the laptops being “designed” for Win98 and they would not support Win 2K or XP. I suppose they bowed to pressure a little bit and finally released a bios update.

you would know if its 3.0 or 3.1 becuase it would say so under help, about
try that…
the 2.4 should be available from
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/WeatherD-2.4b.tar.gz

or it would say 3.1 on the title at the top of the weather display window…

it sounded like sony wanted to get into a “rumble” with MS… they are already destroying MS in the Xbox vs PS2 battle…

Best I can tell 2.2b and 2.4b are identical except for WeatherD! So there is no need to load it. Did I miss something???

John C it would be great if you could try upload. Your Fedora and direct connect is very much like my environment. It would be another data point for me, and I am really struggling with this thing now.

Thanks, Bob

Ok - I’m sucessfully on 2.4b! I haven’t poked around to see if anything is different from the previous version.

When I do a “Help - About” I get version number 2.4 - nowhere is there an indication of a version 3.1. The main title bar just shows current Davis download info.

I still have to choose the Com port every time the program starts up. Then it’s happy.

Bob - I signed up for a Weatherunderground account (my station is KFLDELAND1) and configured it in the appropriate place in WD (and turned on FTP in the other menu), but I don’t think anything is being uploaded. When I click test in the weatherunderground setup, I get an hourglass and that’s all.

I don’t use FTP to upload to a web server since my HTTP server and WD are running on the same box.

I’ll keep hacking around to see if I can get it going.

–John

i will package up 3.1 into the whole shabang now and start that upload
but john, you should easily be able to upgrade to 3.1 like vergil has, just by simply exiting wd, then unzip the downloaded latest zip version, and make sure you unzip to where you have wd installed (this is where you must be going wrong), and set the permission as an executable…

sunny night, i have loaded up wd with your settings
i see you have a couple of files in the general ftp
remove those (highlight the bottom one, then clcik on remove)

now, also, you dont have any times set under web upload times…
but, i suggest to use the customise internet and file creation setup (turn that switch on (and i see i need to improve the switchs for knowing if off or on))
and there you set the times to create each file and the times to upload each file

oh and with the main internet switch, ignore the on or off words, its if its a bright green light its on
at this stage

re wunderground
i know they were down at one stage…

Brian,

I just chmod 777 the WeatherDlinux.zip and unzipped it again. It asked if I wanted to overwrite, so it must be going into the correct directory. All of the WD files are in my home directory. Every time I download and unpack, it is always from that same directory.

The date of the ‘new’ WeatherD exectuable is Oct 15, 2003 and its size is 11623788 bytes. It is set to executable by anybody.

One of the ftp logs (the variety of the logging is very confusing to me) or an upload log is reporting that the weatherunderground upload was successful but I don’t see my station on the web site. Maybe it takes a while to get posted? I don’t know.

–John

i would say then that you are still getting the old WeatherDlinux.zip from the download…i.e its being cached by your or someone elses server, or you are downloading it to a different location than you think…and you are unzipping the old one from where you think you are downloading it too
(these are just commen mistakes of windows users)