Got it working! (topic was WD not happy running on Fedora)

Hi Chris,

I only had one more trick up my sleeve to try and that was the ‘silver bullet.’ The BIOS in this ASUS A7N8X has an option where you can pick your IRQ/mem for on-board serial or parallel ports, or you can choose an ‘auto’ setting where the BIOS manages the assignments. I had to choose ‘auto’ to get com 2 working for my UPS communication, but I left com 1 alone with the default IRQ/mem setting.

Everything started working when I choose ‘auto’ for com 1 in the BIOS. There must have an IRQ conflict somewhere. I should have had the sense to look at the boot log to see if some error was reported.

Hooray! Now I can play with the program. I’ll probably be posting more questions now about the program operation. Aah - life is good :slight_smile:

–John
www.koipond.org

That is great news :smiley:

The bios eh, it is always the last place you look :wink:

Chris

I really didn’t think that the default values that came up in the bios for the IRQs would have been a problem. The problem must have started when I used my old 3Com 10/100 NIC because Fedora didn’t have any built-in drivers for the on-board NIC (I was too lazy to hunt for and load NIC drivers for the Realtec or Nvida or whoever belongs to the LAN chipset). Apparently the 3Com card used an IRQ that hosed everything else up (all the other serial ports, etc).

I just looked at the messages log and it appears that com 1 IRQ/mem is the same as it always has been, so I really don’t understand what the deal was. At least it works now. Some things aren’t meant to be understood :wink:

Thanks again for all of the advice. I might need more of it when try to use the program features.

–John
www.koipond.org

make sure you use the zip 3.0 version, as the control panel/view panel are in use
but i need to tidy those up a bit (looks ok in the compiler, but when i run it its squashed up a bit)
what other things need fixing vergil?

whats the longer period you have had wd running under linux vergil, or anyone else?

these are the issues “i think” still need solved.

1. APRS works, but it causes the program to quit. Sometimes it is the first update, other times like 6 hours later. I know this is it, because with out it WD doesn’t close by itself.

2. For me, I need an rainfall % offset, but that doesn’t work and I have a feeling that the other offsets don’t work either.

3. sun/moon rise , you can set up, but it doesn’t “hold” the values, except for the UTC offset, therefore no image creation.

4. some other minor issues, but nothing that important.

I think #1 is most important, since WD and APRS are good friends :wink: My top uptime is about 5 days, but it could have gone longer I just had to restart my computer.