Perseid meteor shower's Tonight

if anyone is interested…here are the details:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20090811/sc_space/strongmeteorshowerexpectedtonight

…Chris

Wow, thanks for the tip, gonna take a butchers later on… :slight_smile:

I hope you’ve got less cloud cover than we have!

100% clear skies, but not seen diddly squat as yet :frowning:

It is quite early yet…Perseus is barely above the horizon (2200 UK)…Do you have a programme such as “Stellarium” which you can set up for your location…it will then give you an idea of a good time to view the region in question…remember that the moon will be quite bright too… :wink: it looks as though there will be significant cloud here… :frowning:

I am using my Tasco Skywatch program, its showing Perseus at about 12o above the horizon
I was hoping to see sommat before i went to bed, dont look like its gonna happen though… Just my luck lol
I will gve it another 10 minute stint and see how it goes, my necks killing me pmsl…

I know that in the past (when down south) that I have seen them at their best :)well after midnight :(…then of course the constellation Perseus is considerably higher above the horizon…The star Capella(in Auriga) and the Constellation Andromeda are good pointers for C Perseus. As a rule of thumb( :)) at arms length your outstretched handspan (tip of thumb to tip of small finger is about 22 deg)…

Are you a bit early? From another site "According to the BBC, the best times to see the Perseids in the UK are “likely to be on the morning of 12 August before dawn and from late evening on the 12th through to the early hours of the 13 August”.

Yes, that would indicate that tomorrow will be a better nights viewing…it may even be clear of cloud here then… :slight_smile:

We have cloudless sky here right now and have seen a few tonight. The problem is that the moon has just come up and although not full is still quite large and bright so makes it more difficult to see. There was someone on BBC Breakfast this morning who said that they actually start in late July peaking from today & over the next couple of days, trouble is tomorrow night we have cloud/rain forecast. Might be worth a look in the early hours (if I wake up to ‘spend a penny’ :wink: #-o ).

Stuart

Hello all…

There was way too many clouds to see any around here, and also the moon is pretty bright.

It is possible that there may be a better chance around here anyways…to see some of them…if the clouds disappear that is.

…Chris

That will prob explain why i didnt see squat last night pmsl…
Will take another look tonight, fingers crossed…

Hello…

according to this site…

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2009/aug/12/perseids-meteor-shower-list

The best time for UK is between 2am and 4am

This site above also has a List of ALL The Events that will occur for 2009. A good one to Bookmark.

…chris

Sadly, it looks like i got cloud tonight, hows that for sods law, Stiff neck from last night as well lol

Thanks for the link though… appreciated!

I was out at 10 and saw a few. One of them lite the sky up :slight_smile: Went out at 5 and didn’t see a thing :frowning:

Mark

I bet there are a few radio hams up late tonight. I remember listening to meteor scatter years ago…very weird sound, but amazing to think how I was hearing the VHF signals from many hundreds of miles away.

I got to see one around midnight last night and consider that pretty good for us with light pollution…

-Bob