Wind Direction Dial spinning

I’ve noticed a couple of times since installing this that if the wind direction is changing slightly that would cause the dial to move in a counter-clockwise fashion, the dial just sits there and spins. This is because it seems to take as long to spin around the dial almost 360 degrees as it takes for me to get a new clientraw.txt file up to my site.

Is there any way you can control which direction the dial spins?

Otherwise, this is very nice. I have other friends here in Montan with other weather stations that didn’t want to run WeatherDisplay, and are now very jealous of this new flash page.

Thanks for the Efforts

http://chuck.jagger.home.bresnan.net/wdlive.html

What happens is the dial moves the direction of the shorter distance to the new position. For example if the wind direction is 270 and then it changes to 80 it will move clockwise. If it had moved to 100 the dial would move anticlockwise.

I’ve noticed this behaviour with my dial because my windvane is too close to the house and I get turbulence. Because I’ve got a fast update rate the dial can sometimes not move fast enough to catch up with the wind vane! My solution is to get the vane above the roof line (still waiting permission from the domestic authorities) or to reduce the refresh rate so that the dial can catch up.

Julian

I like the statement “still waiting permission from the domestic authorities”, and it’s a rather accurate statement! :wink:

Tb 8)

My wind vane is a good 50’ from my house. If you look at my base weather page, you can see from my screenshot that the direction has been changing from NE to E to SE. Every time it moves from say N to NE, it circles the entire dial. Could this just be a problem when it’s going from 0-15 to 345-360 degrees? Maybe the Flash isn’t smart enough to know that the closest way is over the 0 degree mark.

I haven’t noticed this on any other directions…I’ll keep an eye on it.

Thanks!!

I’ve just been playing with the dial by manually inputting wind directions into the clientraw file in increments of 1 degree around the 0 degree mark, in each direction and gradually increasing in distance. I have to say that I’ve not found any problem at all, whether I input 1 degree differences or 180. You can try this yourself by running on a local webserver or by manually updating the clientraw file on a remote server.

If you try this and find a problem please let me know! :slight_smile:

Julian

If I have have a still wind, and the last direction was from the North at my reading is 0degrees, my wind direction dial just spins continually until a new direction is recorded…all interesting to observe…this only happens when 0degrees and N being recorded…

Trev

Now that would explain it. I’ll ask Brian what WD exports - 0degrees or 360.

Julian

Now that would explain it. I'll ask Brian what WD exports - 0degrees or 360.

Julian

Hi Julian,

Having checked some of my previous records, I can see that both 360 and 0 have been recorded so Im still a little confused !!!

Trev

Brian says it varies depending upon the weather station in use. I’ll make sure the code works for 360 or 0!

Julian

I've noticed a couple of times since installing this that if the wind direction is changing slightly that would cause the dial to move in a counter-clockwise fashion, the dial just sits there and spins. This is because it seems to take as long to spin around the dial almost 360 degrees as it takes for me to get a new clientraw.txt file up to my site.

Is there any way you can control which direction the dial spins?..

I am experiencing the dial to moving in a counter-clockwise fashion whenever the clientraw.txt file is slow to update. The wind is not changing direction. The windvane is not moving. The windvane is stopped at NNE. The wind direction dial will make a complete counter-clockwise circle while the clientraw.txt file is updating. I have only noticed this happening when the wind is from the NE and the station name/time/date are blank for a short time.
wdlv1_03.swf, Wd v10.10m

I have only noticed this happening when the wind is from the NE and the station name/time/date are blank for a short time.

It sounds like the clientraw file may be empty for some reason in this situation. What I’ll do is put in some testing of values in the clientraw file before updating, although I thought I’d done that already.

Julian