FrontPage

OK. I admit I am a dedicated FrontPage user. But for the gerenal quick put up something that looks slick and is easily changable – FrontPage works well.

Except that Weather Display Live won’t work with FrontPage after you publish it. (It works OK when viewing from the FrontPage application – don’t be deceived into thinking it will work once you upload it.

Well, after three hours I fixed it and its quite slick now… Check it out at http://www.willoughbyforest.biz/wfarileevtweather.html

Here is the general work around… I will skip the finer points up…

1, enable your “theme” to use cascading style sheets
2, create a page in the hierarchy you want and in the name that you want
3, close FP and open the page in your web browser
4, right click on all the navigation graphics and save to a folder someplace
5, import these into FP
6, go back to the page you have open in your browser
7, view source in notepad (don’t choose edit)
8, remove all the comments (FP looks for these and will replace all you work with FP stuff if you don’t remove them.
9, Make sure you have only two tables (not three – FP manages shared borders through tables).
10, paste in the WD live code
11, save your work as an html doc
12, import to FP.
13, delete your original doc
14, put the graphics you imprted in the appropriate place in the “shared borders”
15, make sure links point to the correct files
16, upload and cross yor fingers that I didn’t miss anything in this post.

Well there you have it. I hope you get the general idea.

Scott

Looks good. But, personally, I really don’t like talking or musical web sites, since I work late at night at home, or in my office. I have to scramble for the mute button. :smiley:

WDisplay offers the ability to either take the canned web page format, selecting the graphics to use but just stringing them down the page. Or, you can easily get quite creative using the custom configurations and uploads.

Check out my site. I maintain it entirely with Front Page. Originally, I used shared borders, but switched to frames.

Of course, there are times that I have to switch to the HTML view to tweak some things.

Note, although I have been doing this for a couple of months, I am only a casual user of Frontpage and have limited HTML knowledge. It is a constant learning curve.

What you also could do is create your page in Front page, and Leave an area for the WDL.
then you can open up the front page file in notepad.exe and copy/paste the relavant section of the WDL html code (i.e leave out the html header and footer code) into your front page created html code
and also change andy references to local files…replace the local hard drive location with a URL location instead, then save the file with a .html extension (good thing is in the folder options, file types, untick hide known file extensions (otherwise you will always end up with .txt on the end when you save a file with notepad.exe))
i.e notepad.exe is one your best front page programs…but you need to know your html!

otherwise, good effort!

I get Loading data … and that’s it? Should it be working?

Looking at Scott’s source, it may still be the old version 1.02 and not the new 1.02 or 1.03 which is just out.

However, if it “configures” but doesn’t “load”, I have seen that when the clientraw.txt file was missing or corrupted from a bad ftp.

If ‘Loading data…’ is displayed that means it’s trying to load the clientraw.txt file. It will keep trying at every refresh time so it does sound like it’s missing or corrupted.

Julian

I stopped using Frontpage several years ago because of it’s determination to ‘correct’ my asp code which invariably totally scr*!?>d everything up. I switched to Dreamweaver which although more expensive is much better. But you don’t need to go that far - any decent text editor with syntax colouring is nearly as good and will teach you a lot more about html as well!

As an aside though I seem to remember that you could tell FrontPage to not touch areas of code and to leave them alone. I don’t know whether that still exists?

Julian